(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Safety Gear
 Michigan Helmet Law Repealed
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  2:42 PM
Motorcycling is not a "safe activity", rather it is a "high-risk activity"; and as such, it behooves those who wish to partake and enjoy the activity to minimize avoidable or poorly understood risk-taking behaviors. For those that actively seek out "high-risk activities" and ascribe to a "high-risk lifestyle" and actively engage in increasingly dangerous "risk-taking behaviors", motorcycling is easily up to the task of providing a means of learning one's "terminal limits".
Go to Top of Page

halsey
Male Senior Member
321 Posts

davison, mi
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  8:49 PM
Datadan, of course I understand the risk in riding a motorcycle. Thats why I wear safety gear.

Smug, doubtful. Idiot, no way. Patient with B.Srs.,,,,nope.

"U.S. National Trauma Data Bank information on more than 40,000 motorcycle collisions between 2002 and 2006, and found that riders wearing helmets were 22 percent less likely to suffer cervical spine injury than those without helmets."
Now isn't the cervical region part of the neck? Can a neck injury result a paralysis? Couldn't an individual be confined to a bed or pain killers, due to a head injury? Are pain killers not prescribed in the instance of broken jaws, faces, noses, etc? Now understand, I did not find how many people of the 22% with a cervical injury in the study actually were paralyzed, but I am confident some were at least bed ridden for sometime. To me, it isn't worth the risks.

Edited by - halsey on 04/19/2012 10:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

halsey
Male Senior Member
321 Posts

davison, mi
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  10:16 PM
Here is something I read at John Hopkins.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...alled_a_myth

Here is a highlight of the data:
"Haider's study, like many others before, found a reduction in risk of traumatic brain injury in helmet wearers (65 percent) and decreased odds of death (37 percent). But the new paper, Haider says, is the strongest evidence yet that helmets significantly reduce cervical spine injury, which can result in paralysis."
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  8:47 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Now that neck braces are available, maybe they should be considered. They are designed to work with a full face helmet though.

It seems to me, that if one decides to take up any high risk activity, then wearing appropriate gear as well as knowledge of the activity is prudent. Sky diving, mountain climbing, skateboarding, bicycling, playing football or downhill ski racing. They all require helmets and other gear by the sanctioning body. I don't see motorcycling as less risk than those sports.

The funny thing, in my experience is that helmet wearers aren't preaching to other motorcyclists to don helmets (except to family, and close friends). But, I can't count how many times helmetless riders have made approached me to preach the "freedom" of not wearing a helmet.

I've been asked questions about helmets, and will answer them to the best of my ability. Isn't it hot? I open up the shield for ventilation, and now that I discovered the cooling vest, no it isn't. Doesn't it obscure vision? No, the visor is as wide as my peripheral vision. You won't hear traffic! Yes I can, but I know you can't hear helmetless or shorty helmet about 35mph because of wind noise. I tell them that besides the obvious safety advantage, I wear it for comfort. I ride year round, and it helps keep the cold of winter warmer, getting caught in rain, drier, swarms of bugs, less painful/annoying, quieter and less fatigue on a long ride, and getting caught at sundown the strip of tape acts as a car visor, and getting home after dark I appreciate the clear faceshield.

Typically, in the end, they say.."sure looks hot". lol
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1063 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  9:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rkfire

Typically, in the end, they say.."sure looks hot". lol

Actually..... I find it's warmer in the winter... yet cooler in the summer. Insulation is funny that way.
Anyone who ever rode with a shorty... or any open faced helmet, is subjected to a near constant blast of hot air... which may cause a more rapid dehydration
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2266 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 04/21/2012 :  3:26 AM
Another opinon re; Safety gear and helmets-

To those interested in information, truly open-minded or having a genuine inquiry it's probably an easy-going conversation. Other times, it's more a contest of wills and emotion if that talk crops up.
Stats will reveal much good news supporting gear protective qualities but quoting them and showing charts will often fall on deaf ears to the non-believers. They simply won't listen to what they know they don't want to hear IMO so, it becomes pointless.

**I don't deny that some feel their calling to preach and argue the safety gear issue. They can p*ss-off 25 people and might just save one life, but feel it's worth it.
I do feel that belittling one's intelligence or making it US versus THEM crosses the line. One that effectively shuts their ears. If you are going to do that, why have the discussion at all?

I'd like to think (as AMJIce makes his point), that many of us in this community don't arbitrarily attack and belittle others but I do see a challenge when we can likewise be approached by the 'naked' rider who suddenly demands justification for our choices, has his/her agenda at the tip of their tongue and is ready to argue. In such case, it' probably best to think of it as just another likely hiccup that I will encounter, I can train for and plan ahead on how to handle it.

Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 04/21/2012 :  11:17 AM
Continuous education, using factual material, beginning at an early age is perhaps the best means of creating both knowledge and positive attitudes towards helmet use regardless of the activities where there is potential exposure to head and facial injury.

I am not in the habit of accommodating ignorantly incorrect information as well as intentionally false information (propaganda) or "negative attitudes" towards personal health and well being. Such accommodation serves no useful purpose when it comes to participation in activities where their is a relatively high risk of of injury or death.
Go to Top of Page

jimk345
Starting Member
1 Posts

Matawan, NJ
USA

Yamaha

VStar 1300

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  9:44 PM
I participated in my own scientific study when an out of control car on the highway skidded sideways and came across two lanes doing at least 75 MPH and knocked me off my motorcycle. I believe emergency braking, swerving, and even maximum throttle for evasion could not helped in this instance. After viewing the marks on my full face helmet, I will never ride without one. You do what you want. I know what I survived.

Go to Top of Page

Billy Rosewarne
Male Starting Member
7 Posts

Kalamazoo, Michigan
USA

Honda

1984 VF700C Magna

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  1:29 AM
Actually Michigan does have a helmet law. You just need to figure it out. It is really simple. Either you ware a helmet, or you pay more for insurance. (That's the law). I wonder just how many riders that I see every day without helmets, have the extra coverage required.

I do have the extra medical for no helmet. Now I feel completely free! I can choose to ware my full face and no one has anything to say about it. And I do always!

I don't like how people talk about safety gear as having to be all or nothing. As far as having to save your but in every possible situation. What I mean is Safety Gear is just that. Any thing that you choose to ware in terms of safety. Has to be busted off or ground up before your nude body is up to bat.

My personal thoughts are that safety gear keeps small accidents small. And they help keep big accidents smaller.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05