(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Contrary Opinions
 Tip 254: A Case Against Counterbalancing ... And A Few Other MSF Teachings
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CaptCrash
Male Advanced Member
744 Posts
[Mentor]

Nampa, ID
USA

Honda

Phantom

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  7:03 PM
Was part of an "alpha test" of some new curriculum last week. Was doing a lot of stuff in the 20mph range and dragging pegs everywhere (I was riding the Phantom). Started leaning in and suddenly--not dragging.

This "ride your cruiser like a sport bike" thing is kinda messing with my head....
Go to Top of Page

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  10:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CaptCrash

this ride your cruiser like a sport bike" thing is kinda messing with my head....

That's where the biggest benefit is
Go to Top of Page

DubbleRNR
Male New Member
16 Posts

Northern, NJ
USA

Yamaha

R6 & FZ1

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  8:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

quote:
James, I use this technique around my area when I'm turning onto a road with a steep upward slope. There are quite a few turns in Georgetown for example where I'll scrape a peg on my cruiser just going 15mph. I've run into similar situations near Seneca Rocks in WV, Raleigh in NC, and San Francisco to name a few. The additional ground clearance, which MSF toutes as being the purpose for that forward and in leaves me scrape free while letting me achieve a reasonable speed for the turn.

Point taken - you are right, of course.

In addition to ground clearance, leaning "forward and in" bends the inside elbow and affords more leverage on the handlebars. How many times have you seen folks ride through turns with their arms/elbows locked, kind of like Frankenstein.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05