(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Aging and Disabilities
 Folding cane ?
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  7:00 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Just for further clarification, I drove my truck today to get out on such a nice day, and this past week had appointments on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

I cannot twist my back, by orders, and by pain if I do. Getting in my truck, or wifes car(just to see if it's any easier), is hard to do. It's painfull and I take my time and use much caution, but it's going to be a rough go of it. I usually just sit a bit after getting in, just to let the pain subside some, and before I reach for the seat belt or put the key in the ignition. Checking my blind spots is not fun, or those intersections that aren't 90 degree angles.

I have no doubt getting on the bike would be painless. I'm unsure about riding, so I haven't attempted it. I really can't think of an issue other than maybe's and what ifs. So I'm using caution. I'm suspecting that when the time comes for me to decide it's time to ride, I'll be kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  8:40 PM
I'm particularly sensitive to your situation because as I have mentioned my brother is going through something similar. He broke his back (L3, L4, L5) a few months ago and went through 6 months of incredible pain before getting some relief and returning to work. He limited his pain pill consumption and has gone off them with no lingering effect, which I believe is your game plan.

Your posts on this forum have shown you to be a thoughtful, well reasoned, active person. You have given some excellent advice and clarifications. I have no doubt you will take the path that is best for you.

So I need you to picture me grinning in celebration of yours and his paths to recovery from pain.

Ray
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  6:44 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks Ray. I still do think there's probably a great deal of motorcycle prejudice in the medical community. The answer is NO, and I'm not sure there's actual thought behind that no. Or thought to other simple things as well.

For example, this multi-doctor orthopaedic group has a large waiting area, typically with a dozen or more people waiting. The chairs are just generic cushioned chairs with wood arms. I'm using a cane, and pretty stiff. I see how low they are and grimace as I bend and hold onto the arm, but then comes a point where I just fall the rest of the way into the seat. OUCH There certainly must be others with the same predicament. I ask myself, why wouldn't these guys have a few chairs with a higher seat, maybe a stool or 2.

Leaving the hospital, I'm given instructions that I cannot twist my back, bending forward is ok. I'm doing everything to comply with that because it's painful otherwise. After a few days of constipation, as has been mentioned as typical, I go to the bathroom, and really really hurt myself, for DAYS. Not from that, but from trying to use toilet paper. Hate to bring it up, sorry.

I had to look up on the internet. Found some discussions from others having had similar surgeries, and their solutions. Why on earth wouldn't they cover this at the hospital, or in the care instructions?

Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  6:53 AM
Get yourself a toilet with a built in bidet and hot air dryer. It takes care of everything before you get up.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 04/21/2014 :  8:02 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Greywolf, that would be great if I knew in advance, could afford the thing, and the installation, and had the room for one beteen the tub and vanity.

But my point was, the medical people don't exactly think everything out. Raising my bed, and chair should have been done before I got home. Ortho offices should have some raised seat chairs in the waiting room, and xray waiting room. The don't twist your back instruction should offer methods to comply. Getting in and out of a car might have known tricks to it too. Relying on the internet forums what tricks people came up with, after hurting my back excruciatingly, for 3 days, after using the toilet was handy, but hindsight.

So it's in this frame of mind where I'm not sure I will be getting a thoughtful response if I inquire about motorcycle riding. So I won't.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 04/21/2014 :  9:44 AM
People who don't have a problem themselves really don't understand. I have an acid reflux condition that really requires a higher head of the bed. I avoided and jury rigged for years. Then I finally got an adjustable bed. I should have made it a priority and done it years ago.

A toilet with a built in bidet doesn't take up any more room than a regular toilet. In fact, the seat is really all that is replaced. I don't have one myself so can't make recommendations but something like http://www.biolifetechnologies.com/ could be worth the money. Also, a toilet with a high seat is so much better for older adults than one that does double duty for adults and kids.
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 04/21/2014 :  1:55 PM
Roger,

I'm glad your surgery went well.

You might be familiar with this thread on Adventure Rider, "Who's riding with fused vertebrae?". Many posts you may find encouraging and helpful.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 04/21/2014 :  2:29 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks for the adventure rider read. To be clear, no one has said to me no motorcycles in the future period, only when I asked about riding to physical therapy...lol.

I only wish some of those guys would have stated how soon after fusion did they get back on the bike.
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 04/21/2014 :  3:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rkfire

Thanks for the adventure rider read. To be clear, no one has said to me no motorcycles in the future period, only when I asked about riding to physical therapy...lol.

I only wish some of those guys would have stated how soon after fusion did they get back on the bike.

Join the forum and ask. I'm sure it boils down to individual comfort and risk management levels. You may find that riding to PT is therapeutic, both physically and emotionally. Only you can be the judge.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  9:06 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
Originally posted by aidanspa

quote:
Originally posted by rkfire

Join the forum and ask. I'm sure it boils down to individual comfort and risk management levels. You may find that riding to PT is therapeutic, both physically and emotionally. Only you can be the judge.

I joined a few days ago, and posted my question today. I understand any answers will have to be taken with a grain of salt, and not be considered as authoritive medical advice. Might be insightful
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  10:44 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I took a short ride yesterday, it being one month after surgery, plus it being enticing 70 degrees.

Short ride means about 3 miles each way to a favorite shoreline spot. I know the road like the back of my hand, including bumps or potholes. Very cautiously at every step, like getting on the bike, putting my feet up on the pegs, easy on the throttle and brakes.

I was very concious of my posture, and any signs of pain. Like I suspected, it was very comfortable, better than the ordeal to get in my truck, easier to avoid the potholes and bumps, and just a better quality to the suspension overall.

I'm going to take it easy, and stick to roads that I know well. Limit the terrain surprises. I go to the pool again today for PT but will take the truck because, the roads aren't ones that I know that well.

It felt nice to get back on the bike after so many months, but not totally enjoyable with the amount of attention paid to hows my back doing.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  7:28 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
After a few more rides, still not all that far, but picked the pace up. I do notice the bumps at 50 mph, that I didn't at 40.

I'm going to keep it short and slow, and roads I know well. I won't be pushing it, although I'm sure I heal more each day, but at least I'm back on 2 wheels now and then. The weather is just now getting into the 70's, so good timing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05