(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Physics and the theoretical
 To accelerate or remain constant, that is the question
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

rkfire
Advanced Member
1688 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  4:15 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I'm in the same camp as gymnast on this one.

As robslavv said to ray50, you could easily increase speed a bit and not notice. Say 1 mph in this example. Even trying to maintain a steady speed is on the throttle, so whatever benefit there is to get on the gas is being done to some extent.

It was defined as .1 g acceleration from Keith Code. Using an online calculator I found, that is a touch over 2 mph per second.

I'm thinking in a wide in, clip the apex, then wide out line, the portion of the curve that is accelerating might typically be only a second. This discussion may be arguing 1 mph difference.

It may just feel more fun to get on the throttle (prudently) as you're getting the bike vertical again.
Go to Top of Page

Tedd
Male Starting Member
9 Posts

Surrey, BC
Canada

Triumph

Speed Triple

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  10:40 AM
Once you start to consider safety you have to start thinking about human psychology. Even if it's true that steady speed through a curve is safer in a theoretical sense (I'm agnostic on that point), in the real world a rider is likely to want to keep up with his buddies on a twisty road -- if not even pull away from them! Understood that way, the race-track technique of decelerating in and accelerating out is "safer" because, for the same average speed down a given stretch of twisty road, you're never as close to the limit.

When I'm riding "sporty" I always ride that way, and I find that I can often keep up with another rider who is leaned over more, scraping pegs, running wide on exits, and having various other kinds of hairy moments, while I'm staying within my comfort zone.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05