(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3457 positive of 3839 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Popping on deceleration
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

DoubleDip
262 Posts

Erlanger, Kentucky
USA

Yamaha

650 V-Star Silverado
Peer Review:

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  7:12 AM                       Like
Ok It's a Yamaha 02 650 V Star 'bout 3700 miles and when I let off the throttle I get a popping and crackling through the exhaust. It is not a true backfire from the cylinders I don't believe. I've been told that it is caused by air induction into the exhaust to burn off the unburnt gas. All of this seems to be correct from what I have found out! What I'm wondering is should I take measures to correct the popping by blocking or removing the air induction. It doesn't really bother me much but I don't want to hurt the engine.

Any views on this or helpful advise.

Thanks,
DD

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6950 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  9:28 AM
You'll often get exhaust popping on deceleration when you've installed other pipes with lower backpressure. Do you have the stock pipes on the bike, or are they aftermarket pipes?

My ST2 did that with the D&D pipes on it (which I hated), but not with stock pipes or slightly modified stock pipes.
Go to Top of Page

firefly
72 Posts

Santa Monica, California
USA

Yamaha

vmax

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  1:06 PM
I had this happen with my 03 vmax, all stock, it turned out to be lean and after adjusting air/ fuel mixture the problem was corrected.
firefly

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDip

Ok It's a Yamaha 02 650 V Star 'bout 3700 miles and when I let off the throttle I get a popping and crackling through the exhaust. It is not a true backfire from the cylinders I don't believe. I've been told that it is caused by air induction into the exhaust to burn off the unburnt gas. All of this seems to be correct from what I have found out! What I'm wondering is should I take measures to correct the popping by blocking or removing the air induction. It doesn't really bother me much but I don't want to hurt the engine.

Any views on this or helpful advise.

Thanks,
DD

Go to Top of Page

DoubleDip
262 Posts

Erlanger, Kentucky
USA

Yamaha

650 V-Star Silverado

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  1:22 PM
Everything on the bike is stock, no aftermarket, ahhh improvements.
DD
Go to Top of Page

htdb33
Standard Member
167 Posts

somerville, al
USA

Triumph

Trophy 1200

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  9:36 AM
I am assuming that this problem has just developed and was not present when you first got the bike. Check your exhaust gaskets and all the exhaust system connections. If air is leaking in at any of these points it can cause your problem.

Also take a look at Firefly's suggestion.

Yankee Dog

Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  1:08 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
My Dragstar 650 started the popping on deceleration after I fitted the aftermarket exhausts which are far less restricted than stock. Therefore most if not all of the useful back pressure is gone. I have just bought a jet kit to sort out this problem. However since you have the stock exhausts it pays if you can just remove the blanking plugs from the mixture screws and enrich the mixture a little. This should sort it out. It's only half a turn that would probably be required but it makes all the difference.
Go to Top of Page

azmike
10 Posts

Queen Creek, AZ
USA

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  2:09 PM
I have an '04 v-star classic that I just took in for its regular service. It does the same thing as I back off the throttle and downshift. I asked the mechanic about it, I think he said it was a lean idle condition but that it wouldn't hurt the engine at all.

Just thought I'd pass that along.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  10:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDip

Everything on the bike is stock, no aftermarket, ahhh improvements.

My bike does the same thing, but everything I have read says it's due to the lean jetting from the factory and is normal for my machine. My guess is there is nothing wrong with your bike. I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by - kiddal on 05/22/2005 10:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05