(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3457 positive of 3839 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 1993 Ke100b kawasaki - starts but dies hour later
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

mattimeo_boyd
Starting Member
4 Posts

Ketchikan, Alaska
USA

Peer Review:

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  10:21 PM                       Like
I have a 1993 Ke100b kawasaki and it will start up, but after an hour or so of riding it will die all of the sudden. I know it isn't the carburator because i just put a new one in. Can anyone give me some help on how to fix this problem?

Bean
Male Senior Member
260 Posts

Pinellas, FL
USA

Kawasaki

94' Vulcan 750

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  2:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mattimeo_boyd

I have a 1993 Ke100b kawasaki and it will start up, but after an hour or so of riding it will die all of the sudden. I know it isn't the carburator because i just put a new one in. Can anyone give me some help on how to fix this problem?

I'm pretty new to riding myself so perhaps someone has a better idea what's wrong. I would think there's a problem with air getting into the gas tank. As gas exits the tank into your carbs, air has to get in to displace the gas that just left. Make sure the air intake isn't obstructed.

-Kevin
Go to Top of Page

htdb33
Standard Member
167 Posts

somerville, al
USA

Triumph

Trophy 1200

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  9:57 AM
How long does it have to sit before it will start again? Will it start sooner after you open the gas cap? Does it happen consistantly with a certain amount of gas in the tank?

It could be the tank vent as suggested. It could also be your coil. Some of them have a habit of quiting after they warm up. If it is the coil, it will get progressivly worse until it craps out entirly.

It could also be something else

Yankee Dog

Go to Top of Page

mattimeo_boyd
Starting Member
4 Posts

Ketchikan, Alaska
USA

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  9:05 PM
It takes about 4-5 days to start up and it can go for an hour or so with the tank full too.
Go to Top of Page

head451
Starting Member
2 Posts

USA

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  9:58 AM
I think I'm having a similar problem with my 77 honda 360. When the tank is less than half full, the engine tends to die while at speed. Because of my clear fuel line, I know its dying because no fuel is flowing into the carbs.

The lines and petcock drain fine, but I do believe I'm having the vent issue as well. Like a straw with a finger over one end -- no flow.

Usually I pull over, switch to reserve, then back to primary, wait a minute or so, and then it starts right up.

So, Where do I find the vent?
Go to Top of Page

subvetSSN606
418 Posts
[Mentor]

Ellettsville, IN
USA

Suzuki

800 Intruder

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  5:36 AM
On some bikes the vent is just a part of the gas cap, on others it's a separate line with a tube that may be crimped or clogged. To check for a vent problem, when the bike quits running, open the gas cap... did you hear a hiss? Did the problem magically disappear after opening the cap? If so... likely the vent. If not, it's likely something else.
One other likely culprit is a pinched, crimped or kinked gas line after having removed and reinstalled the tank.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

subvetSSN606
418 Posts
[Mentor]

Ellettsville, IN
USA

Suzuki

800 Intruder

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  5:44 AM
4-5 days!!!!

Sounds like a seriousrestriction in gas flow. I can't think of anything else that would go away on its own. However it surprises me that with a constriction that would take 4-5 days to refill your carbs that you'd be able to run as much as an hour. So I don't know.

Tom
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05