(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Musings at one traffic light
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic
Peer Review:

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  7:13 AM                       Like
I was out in my truck last night, came up on a "left turn yield on green" signal.
There was a pickup truck in front of me, waitng to turn, and a van coming towards us in the opposite lane.
The truck in front of me turned in front of the van (the van hadn't reached the intersection yet); that was fine..
The van reached the intersection, and as he was passing me, I was getting into "all set to turn" mode.
Then I saw him...
Here's a guy on a Sportster running thisclose behind the van.
Now I watched this van approaching and clearing the intersection (total distance probably 100 feet) and didn't see the guy on the motorcycle because he was glued to the van's bumper.
I could even feel that go/stop flinch as I was about to jump into the intersection.
His pipes wouldn't have helped him, by the way..

The police report would have (truthfully) said "I never saw him"...
Food for thought, folks..

Two things: 1) keep your distance when following 2) that old "I never saw him" sometimes does have merit
Ride Safe

Futuristic
10 Posts

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
USA

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  12:05 PM
Actually, that is a valid technique when properly executed. You'll find that the recommendation is sometimes that, when in very heavy traffic or lots of cross traffic waiting to turn, you can follow *RIGHT ON THE ASS* or even *BESIDE* the car ahead of you as they pass through the 'fatal funnel' in an intersection. The logic being, if you can't depend on the waiting cars to see you, then be somewhere where they CAN'T hit you. If you ride through the intersection alongside the right side of a car, a left turner can't hit you without going through the car first. Now, I don't do this except in unusual situations. I'd prefer to hang back and be prepared to stop/maneuver if the left turner goes for it.

But, there are occasional situations, especially in poor visibility, where I figure the risk of the guy in front of me doing something unexpected (remember, you'd be lane-splitting on his right or tucked right on his bumper) is less than the certainty that cars waiting to turn left cannot see me due to conditions. Lousiana fog will force me to do this a few times each year.

Futuristic
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  12:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Futuristic

Actually, that is a valid technique when properly executed.

The guy on the bike was almost beside me before I saw him...
The only validity to this manuever I can see is that I could have a reason to say I didn't see him when I creamed him.
I can't see why anyone would advocate that...not too bright.
Go to Top of Page

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  9:32 AM
Perhaps I am a little contrarian, but when I approach an intersection, I increase the distance between me and the car in front of me to be in a better position to use the SEE method and scan the area for areas of conflict.

By tailgating a car you may very well be creating an accident situation when your origial intent is to prevent one.

I have used the shield method with a car besides me but never have used the tailgate method to make it through and intersection.

Ciao,

BadaBing
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  9:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BadaBing

Perhaps I am a little contrarian, but when I approach an intersection, I increase the distance between me and the car in front of me to be in a better position to use the SEE method and scan the area for areas of conflict.

By tailgating a car you may very well be creating an accident situation when your origial intent is to prevent one.

I have used the shield method with a car besides me but never have used the tailgate method to make it through and intersection.

Ciao,

BadaBing

Exactly.
I wonder where it's written that the 2 second rule doesn't apply at intersections, where as it turns out, is where the vast majority of two-vehicle accidents occur.
To be frank, I think advocating or practicing hugging a cage's rear bumper at anytime is, well, idiotic...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05