(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Music headphones = bad idea?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Aero
Standard Member
157 Posts

Providence, RI
USA

Honda

Shadow Aero 750
Peer Review:

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  6:16 PM                       Like
Hi all,
Is this a stupid idea?
I have a set of those 'plug' gel headphones that form fit to the inside of the ear, and I use them with my portable MP3 player. They make effective earplugs on their own, but also serve as a nice, comfortable set of headphones. Today, just for kicks, I put them on under my full-face helmet and they were very comfortable (I didn't ride with them on). I was thinking that I could just use one for listening to music, and keep the other ear open or with just an earplug (ie no music).

Thoughts?

Thanks - Jarrod

OB
Male Advanced Member
529 Posts

Houston, TX
USA

Buell

1125CR and others

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  9:58 PM
Okay,

Let me see if I got this right.

You want to protect your ears by wearing earplugs. Right?

Oh, but, those gel ear buds for the mp3 machine work great to block out sounds. Let me wear those instead of buying a set of earplugs.

But wait, if I got the ear buds in, why not listen to music?

Wait a minute, if I got both in my ears listening to music, I will not be able to hear the road sounds. I got a brillant idea, I'll just keep one out.

So which ear do you want to damage from the wind noise, that is the next question which I can't answer. Maybe you should switch the ear bud. 50-50.

Go to Top of Page

Fry
45 Posts

Melbourne
Australia

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  12:46 AM
I ride on the highway with headphones in. I can still hear the traffic over the music. In town, I just turn them off.
Go to Top of Page

OB
Male Advanced Member
529 Posts

Houston, TX
USA

Buell

1125CR and others

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  7:03 AM
Are headphones and gel ear plugs the same thing?
Go to Top of Page

Aero
Standard Member
157 Posts

Providence, RI
USA

Honda

Shadow Aero 750

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  8:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by OB

Are headphones and gel ear plugs the same thing?

Not usually. But with no music playing, these are earplugs. They fit in like earplugs: squeeze them, and insert them in the ear, then they expand to form-fit to the inside of the ear. They do a great job of blocking out sound, but there's a tiny pinhole thru the middle which the music plays through. It's actually a tiny plastic tube (part of the actual speaker) which slides thru the hole on the plug. The plugs can be used on their own, or with the headphones; they're removeable.

Here's a link:
http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.ns...Form&THEPLUG

So I could effectively have earplugs in both ears, but have music playing in only one ear, or both.

Jarrod
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6960 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  10:23 AM
I consider music too much of a distraction when riding my motorcycle. I suppose if I liked to ride long distances on boring freeways or something, they might be good, but when I need full concentration to try to hit the perfect corner apex, music is too much of a distraction.

I notice the same thing while driving my S2000. On the tight, twisty, technical stuff, I turn the CD player off so that I can pay more attention to driving. On the straighter roads I turn the music on, since it's not such a distraction there.
Go to Top of Page

Aero
Standard Member
157 Posts

Providence, RI
USA

Honda

Shadow Aero 750

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  10:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

I consider music too much of a distraction when riding my motorcycle. I suppose if I liked to ride long distances on boring freeways or something...

That's just it. I like to take my bike to work when the weather is nice, and it's a 40 mile freeway commute each way. Luckily it's a fairly peaceful commute, and traffic is very light.

Jarrod
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6960 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  11:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Aero

That's just it. I like to take my bike to work when the weather is nice, and it's a 40 mile freeway commute each way. Luckily it's a fairly peaceful commute, and traffic is very light.
Back when I used to commute, nobody would have described it as "peaceful". I needed more concentration for that than for the most difficult mountain roads. Fortunately you can't really call my two mile trip to work a commute.

From your description, it sounds like headphones are worth a try. You might keep track of each trip for any close calls or other evidence that the music is a distraction or that it prevents you from hearing important sounds. Maybe after a month or two you'll be able to report back on the relative safety of music while riding.
Go to Top of Page

(Deleted or Lost)

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  3:13 PM
HI all,
I am new here and so glad that I found this site.

In FL it is against the law to use ear plugins. You can use headsets that fit in the helmet, but do not press against the ear. You better check your state laws.

Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6960 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  4:27 PM
Same thing I posted on the earplug thread, but worth repeating:
quote:
Earplugs used to be offically illegal in California too, until a few months ago, but I've never heard of anyone being cited for them, even when they've been clearly seen removing them to receive some other kind of ticket. The law said that custom molded earplugs were okay, but implied that the foam ones were not.

Thanks to one of our state senators, this has been changed.

I consider it to be worth the risk to wear them, even where they're illegal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05