(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Engine Shut Down, Goldwing
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

(Deleted or Lost)

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  9:46 AM                       Like
I have a 1995 Goldwing 1500 that has been converted to a Lehman trike kit. I am having a problem with engine shut down...even baffels the Honda mechanic...The is no pattern with this shut down. Sometimes I can ride for 20 miles, next time 1 mile. It seems like the electrical is shutting down. No loss of power or miss prior to shut down. As soon as it quits I can push the starter button and it will start again within 1-2 revolutions and I may be able to drive another 15-20 miles or 1- mile. Have had complete tune-up done (with air & fuel filter. Any ideas???

Sargeyork
Starting Member
8 Posts

Hazel Park, MI
USA

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  10:45 PM
I bought a 1993 Aspencade and it cut out electrically when I hit a bump over and over again but would reset if I shut the key off and turned it back on, as it turns out there was a recall on a safety device called the bank angle sensor or some such that shuts off power and fuel in case of an accident and this was the cause. Can you believe I bought this used from a dealer and he didn't check a used bike he took in as trade had any recalls even though he is a Honda Dealer, this dealer also put a front tire on backwards and failed to take the little red shipping cap off a new battery and hook up the drain tube!!
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17396 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  7:43 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
There have been a few reports of the BAS (Bank Angle Sensor) relay becoming flaky and shutting down the bike at extremely inappropriate times. Shake the handlebars a few times and the engine quits. Swerve to avoid a pothole and the engine quits. Worse, of course, it has happened in the middle of a fast turn.
Go to Top of Page

BDRONAGOLDWING
Starting Member
5 Posts

PINE BLUFF, AR
USA

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  1:02 PM
Hello, I have a '91 SE and had a similar problem. It may run for 15 min. or all day and you could not make it do it on que. I know you should not do it but at this point I started taking all the safety kill switches off one at a time to see if one of these was the problem. Let me say that this was only after the Honda mechanic had worked on it at least 5 seperate times and had told me he could not fix it. We thought it might be the "brain" but that is an expensive guess if you are wrong. So I borrowed a buddy's off of his bike, still no help. The first thing that we wired around was the bank angle sensor, next the side stand switch, the clutch switch, the gear position sensor, the handle bar on-off switch, still had the problem. Then I removed the battery and started back tracking all the wires from the battery to where ever they go next. I found that one of the factory splices was not making contact all of the time. I had looked at it several times and the connector was still in tact, and the wire was not broken into but it was just loose enough to ground out when moved the wrong way. I spent countless hours of my and my friends time but I have since put several thousand miles on it without any trouble. I forgot to mention prior to finding the short we also replaced the fuel pump because I thought maybe it was bad, but now I don't think that was the problem. So I know this is a little long but I hope it helps. I also replaced the key switch and any thing else that I thought could even be a possibility.
so in summary I would recommend checking all connections from the battery to where they terminate. This will take some time but could save you a ton of money. Good Luck, Rick
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17396 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  1:16 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks for that report. Good information.

If the bike is typically stored without a full tank of gas you will find that over time the exposed upperpart of the tank will rust. It takes a small bit of rust, a flake, to clog a fuel filter and that can give the symptoms you report.

More difficult to diagnose is the possibility that your ignitoon pulse generator is failing (typically temperature related.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05