(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Sharing of Lessons Learned
 Flapping vest extenders and safety
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04
Peer Review:

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  8:21 PM                       Like
On a recent trip to Lake Chareles I got my vest inflated with the air that was rushing by me. It was so forceful that it unsnapped all four vest extenders (chrome chains). I was so concerned that they would fall off and hit the biker behind me that I essentially rode for about 10 miles with one hand. At the first stop light I took them all off.

Once I got to the hotel room, I reflected on what the right thing to do would have been. Should I have just let the 4 extenders hit the ground and the biker behind me? Any thoughts?

Ciao,

BadaBing

htdb33
Standard Member
167 Posts

somerville, al
USA

Triumph

Trophy 1200

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  7:10 AM
Why didnt you pull over and adjust as necessary. Letting them fall off and hit the guy behind you is not an option. And crashing because you were trying to ride with one hand for a long distance is not a very good option either.

In addition, if I was you I would get a new set of extenders so the problem wont ever be repeated.

John
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6948 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  9:27 PM
I have a better suggestion. Wear a full leather jacket that zips shut and has nothing to flap in the breeze. It will offer better protection and you won't have to even think about dealing with such distractions.
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1470 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  9:13 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Rocco asked, "Any thoughts?"

Maybe... smaller chests? ;)

Cash
Go to Top of Page

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  4:59 AM
Great responses.

#1 In hindsight I should have pulled over
#2 I will probably eliminate the extenders
#3 I am trying to get a smaller chest

Ciao,

BadaBing
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05