(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Sharing of Lessons Learned
 Watch out for the flying can
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04
Peer Review:

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  9:53 PM                       Like
We were riding today the three of us. I was in the middle position. We were coming around the bend and the lead rider stuck his right leg out to point a can in the road. Unfortunately he struck it with his foot and it gave the can tremendous spin and it came heading my way.

All I ccould think of was it getting wrapped up in my spokes and causing a great accident. So I keep my eyes on this flying can.

The lesson learned was that I was so fixated on the trajectory of the can that I found myself being drawn to it and consequently riding the turn a little too wide. Had I looked passed the can on where I was supposed to go, I would have averted the can and made the turn without deviating at all.

Ciao,

BadaBing

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1470 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  10:31 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  

Normally, I wouldn't think it's a great idea to take a foot off the peg and point to an object in the road with it....especially in a turn.

I know some clubs expect riders to use their feet to point to hazards, but is there some reason a quick movement of the hand isn't just as good -- taking no chances with a foot hitting the object? (I've heard a few stories about broken toes from this move, too...)

Opinions about communication methods may vary, I'm sure -- but in any case, a good lesson in target fixation!

Glad you didn't lose it in that turn.

Cash
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  10:54 AM
Also glad you didn't loose it!

Makes me think. Our club/riding groups do use legs to indicate objects on the road like road kill, sand, oil, pot holes. I'll bring up the discussion about a switch to hands. Likely it's habbit. I'm usually not comfortable using my right hand for signals though.

Go to Top of Page

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  8:23 PM
I can see where there would be a benefit from using a hand to point out a object on the road. The only problem that I can see is if the object in on your right side. I would not feel comfortable taking my hand off the throttle even for a short period of time.Is there an alternative sign to point out an object in the road?

Ciao,

BadaBing
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  10:31 PM
Here's a link to the signals our HOG Club uses at present.

http://www.gthog.com/Safety.HandSignals.html

They are under review and not necessarily endorsed by H-D.

Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  3:37 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Hi FxstSteve,

I think the link you provided has changed. It appears to be pointing to a page that is not available.

Go to Top of Page

DoubleDip
262 Posts

Erlanger, Kentucky
USA

Yamaha

650 V-Star Silverado

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  5:39 AM
Actually the link works just fine you have to avoid the programming code on each end

http://www.gthog.com/Safety.HandSignals.html

use this url and it will get you there just fine. Like the others I'm not comfortable with taking my hand off the gas either.
DD
Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  10:32 AM
I can't understand how a lead biker would point to a can on a road and hit it with his foot??? Former soccer player maybe?
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1470 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  3:00 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  

I've been using hand signals, turn signals and my C.B. to give warning to the groups I lead depending on the situation, and I've been doing it for about 14 years or so. But I've hardly ever had any problem with taking a hand off the throttle for long enough to point to something in the road. (The hazard, after all, does go by really fast!)

There have been a very few times when I was engaged in making a turn, or stopped on a slope, where I couldn't get a hand free at the right time to pass on a warning and couldn't hit the PTT button on the CB before it was irrelevant; but the times I've tried to gesture with a foot instead are about nil.

For one thing, my riders probably wouldn't know what I was doing if they saw it; and for another, to me that destabilizes a rider a lot more than moving a hand and arm. At a decent speed, my bike is really very stable, and removing one hand from the grip for a few seconds to point to the ground doesn't change my path of travel much at all.

Not to forget, everyone riding in our groups does get a reminder to "Ride your own ride!" before we leave. Getting a warning about a hazard in the road ahead of time is, to my way of thinking, almost a 'luxury', since we're all supposed to be looking out for ourselves anyway. Having your leader give a heads-up allows for an extra measure of time to decide how to handle a problem; and if you see others ahead of you responding and signaling, it tends to alert you to watch out; but it shouldn't be an obligation of the group leader to do it every time. And I don't think I've ever had anyone complain that they didn't get a warning from me in time.

I always figured I had a responsibility to take care of my own safety first, then give a warning to the group I'm leading about a road hazard IF there's time and IF I'm in a position to do so safely. After all, if I screw up, as the first bike in the column I'm going to be creating a lot of trouble for everyone coming behind.

No doubt a number of hazards don't get pointed out during a group ride, especially if your group leader is maneuvering through a strange city at the same time there's something in the road, watching the signs and trying to orchestrate the lane changes. There's a lot going on at certain points in a ride, and a group leader has to figure that the people behind are competent riders who are paying attention and looking out for themselves.

At least, that's how I've looked at it.

Cash
Go to Top of Page

timbo
Advanced Member
594 Posts

Uxbridge
United Kingdom

BMW

R1100S

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  4:42 PM
It's only a can - I would not bother. You are more likely to cause confusion etc. - only point out serious things. A coke can in the road is not worth fussing over.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  9:39 PM
Good point Timbo!

I think the rider was intentionally trying to kick the can instead of pointing it out to others.

Can? No biggie. Can falls into the 'small varmit' category in my mind. Run em over and don't look back.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05