(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Sharing of Lessons Learned
 What would you do if confronted by this situation?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04
Peer Review:

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  8:19 AM                       Like
Was in a group of 7 bikes this Saturday taking a leisurely ride down a two lane road. The Lead rider spotted a chair on the right side of the road and gave a signal that alerted us to the impending obstruction. The signal was passed along and we all cleared the chair. About 100 yards up the road another chair was in the road. This time it was smack in the middle of the road. The lead rider signaled to slow down and then stop. The group came to a complete stop. He dismounted his bike and tossed the chair on the shoulder. We then proceeded on our trip without incident.

I think this was the best course of action as there was a possiblity of one the bikes in the group hitting it, or for that matter, a car hitting it. What do you think?

Ciao,

BadaBing

Edited by - BadaBing on 04/04/2005 8:20 AM

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  9:38 AM
Heya
I have actually done a similar thing several times in my car. If its safe to do so, I have gotten out of my car to put trashcans, branches and large pieces of debris onto the curb.
It only takes a half a minute, and in the end the road is safer for everyone... I reccomend it and I'm glad I'm not the only one!
^o^
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17378 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  9:54 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Besides the obvious about being very certain that it is safe to venture out onto the road to clear it, I suggest that you also be sure to park your vehicle off that road while you are doing so instead of using it to block traffic.

Further, all bets are off if the trash in the road is actually a dead or dying animal. Dead or not, disease lurks. Clearing that off the road is NOT YOUR JOB and though it would be helpful to others, it could be deadly to you. Better to find a way to put a warning on the road a considerable distance in front of it and call the police to have it cleared away.

I had a neighbor's 6 year old daughter in Connecticut *DIE* a few weeks after picking up a bird that fell out of the sky into her front yard. It's not a trivial concern here, folks.
Go to Top of Page

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  7:54 AM
James,

This two lane road had no shoulder so it was impossible to pull off. As far as the dead animals, you are right. That is one for animal control. I have actually seen a large carcass of a deer blocking an entire lane of a rural road and that would be one that I would just gingerly go around.

Ciao,

BadaBing

P.S. I am sorry about the death of that little girl.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05