(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Lost one of our own
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Ben
28 Posts

San Jose, CA
USA

Peer Review:

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  12:48 AM                       Like
On April 13, in Sunnyvale, California, John Moller was killed while riding his Honda Superhawk to work. The cause? A guy turning left in front of him, into a driveway. I know this because I rode past the accident site on Wednesday morning. The coroner hadn't yet been there and the police still had the scene roped off. The left turner was still parked in the driveway.

This happened about 1/4 mile from my office, so I had to listen to people talk about it all day. Most of them (not surprisingly) assumed that the motorcyclist was speeding. I had to listen to many anecdotes about people seeing riders doing crazy things in traffic, etc, etc, etc.

I expect this from the general public. They see one moron riding dangerously, and base their opinion of riders on that one guy while the other 100 responsible riders they see simply fail to register in their minds. However, the treatment that John Moller got at the hands of the San Jose Mercury News really disappointed me:

Castro Valley man dies in Sunnyvale crash

By the Mercury News

A 43-year-old Castro Valley man was killed early Wednesday when his motorcycle crashed into a truck in Sunnyvale, authorities said.

He was identified as John Moller by the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner's Office.

Witnesses told police that Moller was riding at an excessive speed at the time of the 7:48 a.m. crash at the 1300 block of East Moffett Park Drive, said Sunnyvale Capt. Craig Farley.

The truck driver was not injured, but Moller was pronounced dead at the scene.

I wrote the Mercury News to express my disappointment that they chose to publish the hearsay that the motorcyclist was speeding, rather than the undisputed fact that the root cause of the accident was the truck failing to yield right of way. Needless to say, the letter wasn't published and I didn't hear back from them.

I've heard that as many as 70% of all multi-vehicle motorcycle accidents are caused by drivers failing to yield right-of-way to the motorcyclist. Let's be careful out there.

PS If you're in the Bay Area, please feel free to write the Merc and tell them how you feel about the report:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc.../3819513.htm

g6civcx
Standard Member
110 Posts

USA

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  7:05 AM
*pours out liquor*

People are stupid, man. They automatically think that bikes are inherently dangerous, instead of the people on them and around them who create the dangerous situations.

Edited by - g6civcx on 05/14/2005 7:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Axeman1958
Male Senior Member
276 Posts

Hempstead, NY
USA

Harley-Davidson

Electra Glide U.C.

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  7:23 PM
Unfortunately, the only riders ever noticed by the general public are the ones doing something stupid. Guess that won't change overnight. If you are in contact with his family, please give them my condolences.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05