(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3457 positive of 3839 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Battery Charging
Member  Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Axeman1958
Male Senior Member
276 Posts

Hempstead, NY
USA

Harley-Davidson

Electra Glide U.C.
Peer Review:

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  9:32 PM                       Like
I borrowed my cousins battery charger (he's a mechanic) and there is a 40amp quick charge setting. Can this be used on the motorcycle battery or, should I stick with the 2amp slow charge?

firefly
72 Posts

Santa Monica, California
USA

Yamaha

vmax

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  3:51 AM
Use the 2 amp setting.
firefly

quote:
Originally posted by Axeman1958

I borrowed my cousins battery charger (he's a mechanic) and there is a 40amp quick charge setting. Can this be used on the motorcycle battery or, should I stick with the 2amp slow charge?

Go to Top of Page

Sargeyork
Starting Member
8 Posts

Hazel Park, MI
USA

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  2:14 PM
2 amps is max for motorcycle battery, should never charge at a greater rate than max. discharge rate on any battery. Buy a battery tender and leave it hooked up and it will keep your battery peaked and ready to go 24/7/365 it only charges when needed and will not destroy your battery but extend it's life to 4 or 5 years if used as intended.
Go to Top of Page

Axeman1958
Male Senior Member
276 Posts

Hempstead, NY
USA

Harley-Davidson

Electra Glide U.C.

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  6:27 PM
I've been using a battery tender but, for some reason, the battery doesn't seem to be holding a charge anymore. Guess I'll be getting a new battery.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Victory
Advanced Member
633 Posts
[Mentor]

Pawcatuck, CT
USA

Victory

10th Anny Vision

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  7:26 AM
Before buying a new battery use your tender on another battery. Maybe the tender is bad?
When you hook her up are the lights correct? On the Battery Tender brand the lights will indicate whats going on.
Go to Top of Page

Axeman1958
Male Senior Member
276 Posts

Hempstead, NY
USA

Harley-Davidson

Electra Glide U.C.

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  6:51 PM
I have Harley's Battery Tender Jr. (it's made by Battery Tender, just has a Harley logo on it). It's charging the battery properly. When this battery is fully charged I put my voltmeter across it and watch it drain. Does the same thing in the bike. Starts the bike then, after about 5 minutes, lights start to go dim. At first I thought it was me not reving high enough when I ride but, my brother-in -law (the original "Road Hog") rode from his house to mine on the highway (about 15 miles)and it still died about 2 blocks from my house. The bike's been to service and the charging system is fine.
Go to Top of Page
   Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05