(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Listening To That Inner Voice
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17378 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500
Peer Review:

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  8:31 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
Advice like 'listen to that inner voice' is not just vacuous new-age meta-physics crystal-gazing stuff.

If you are behind a truck and 'feel' like you should change lanes - change lanes. You may not be aware of why, you may not be aware that you have noticed something wrong, but when part of its load bounces out of its bed and lands on the ground where you would have been had you not changed lanes, you will then appreciate that your subconscious mind plays with details that your conscious mind tends to ignore.

Some people call it intuition.

md2lgyk
Male Standard Member
228 Posts

Harpers Ferry, WV
USA

Honda

Shadow VLX

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  8:44 AM
You are so right. I don't know whether to call it a "feeling" or just what, but sometimes I just "know" what other drivers are about to do. It sometimes amazes my wife or other passenger in my car because I'll tell them what's about to happen and am so often correct. I tell them it's just experience and watchfulness.

Don't know if that's the reason for my nearly 40 accident-free years of driving cars and trucks (one bike accident in there) but I'm sure it has helped.
Go to Top of Page

harley1200c
64 Posts

Surprise, Arizona
USA

Harley-Davidson

2005 XL1200C Sporty

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  7:49 PM
Most of the time I respond to my instinks...over the years it has helped me in more ways then one could imagine. If it does not feel right, then chances are it is not right to begin with. When the hair on the back stands up...it is doing so for a reason.
Go to Top of Page

shortysporty
Starting Member
6 Posts

tampa, Florida
USA

Harley-Davidson

1200c sportster

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  1:32 AM
I wish I listened to that voice on Monday.
A few of us were going for a breakfast ride.(One girl got her bike a few weeks ago and had done her beginners,practised in parking lots and had rode her bike with her husband to lunch.I repeatedly told her to take the safety course,even gave her phone numbers but the courses were on weekends and she works then).I said to my bf that she should not ride on the streets until she takes the course but she wanted to go and no-one objected.She WAS excited,now she's in the hospital.We've gone back to the site of the accident and the only thing I can come up with is that she fixated while on a slight left curve,locked up one or both brakes and hit a mailbox,bike threw her off as it spun in the air and landed in a six foot ditch,she hit the gravel,thankfully she had a leather jacket and proper fitting helmet on.Broken rib ,punchered lung and busted up shoulder, she was only going approx.25 to30mph, could've been alot worse.PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you are a new or returning rider TAKE THE COURSES.This has really shook me up and I can't turn back the time to act on my inner voice.

Edited by - shortysporty on 05/26/2005 1:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tarantula
Starting Member
7 Posts

Englewood, Colorado
USA

Kawasaki

EX500

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  11:36 AM
Well, shorty, if it helps you feel any better, my MSF course is june 3rd, and I'm definately going to take it as slow as I have to.
Go to Top of Page

DoubleDip
262 Posts

Erlanger, Kentucky
USA

Yamaha

650 V-Star Silverado

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  5:29 PM
Shorty,
I'm sure sorry to hear about your friend but you can only have limited responsibility for your friend and it sounds like you made a strong effort to get her to do the right thing.
Bruce
Go to Top of Page

shortysporty
Starting Member
6 Posts

tampa, Florida
USA

Harley-Davidson

1200c sportster

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  12:47 AM
Good luck with your course,as well as learning alot of useful information, it is fun.Remember to ride your own. I took the course a 1 1/2yrs ago and I still refer to my book.Ride safe.
Go to Top of Page

shortysporty
Starting Member
6 Posts

tampa, Florida
USA

Harley-Davidson

1200c sportster

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  1:11 AM
Thank you Doubledip for your post.Four of us have ridden for 3yrs,two of us girls and I think she felt she was ready.When she got the bike,her Mom gave her a strong lecture against it and made us feel like 2" tall,mind you we didn't encourage it until she had the course and her husband bought it,so he got a tongue lashing too.It could of been worse but she's still in the hospital and I can't help her.
I don't want anyone to question if they should be riding but how to ride safer. LOL Shortysporty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05