(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 MSF ERC Class
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

mkrawitz
24 Posts

Birmingham, Alabama
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 650 Custom
Peer Review:

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  10:02 AM                       Like
Well I took the ERC class for the 1st time and mostly liked it except for the extreme heat (felt like I was going to pass out a few times). Anyway, had a question on one of the exercises - we were told to attempt the weave exercise w/ only one hand on the bars. Whats the point of that? The instructors never explained.

Thanks,

Marc

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17378 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  10:04 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
It is designed to absolutely convince you that counter-steering works.
Go to Top of Page

htdb33
Standard Member
167 Posts

somerville, al
USA

Triumph

Trophy 1200

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  7:22 AM
My instructor explained it like this. There are time when you may have to ride your motorcycle with one hand. The exercies was to test your ablilty to do this. For example, you may have to adjust the zipper on your jacket, crack open your face shield on a hot day or wipe off that big splat of bug that just appeared.

Yankee Dog

Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17378 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  8:20 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Yep, I'm sure that's how he explained it. But the PRACTICAL result of the exercise was that you learned that the only way to steer at any speed faster than you can run is via counter-steering.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  10:13 AM
In a recent course I attended. We had to do circuits on a track using one hand. We did this in both directions. The stated purpose was as Jim suggests. To "make us experience countersteering" and to "understand that pushing and pulling the bar is the only way to turn "at speed". It was an extremely helpful exercise not only for the stated purpose but as a confidence builder for those times when one hand steering is necessary.

BTW there are many advantages of taking a course which incorporates a race track circuit. Using the Apex in curves, delayed Apex, proper throdle control to pull out of a curve and back into "line", to name just a few.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05