(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

   OR   
   
Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


 All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Saddlebags
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

harley1200c
Junior Member
64 Posts


Surprise, Arizona
USA

Harley-Davidson

2005 XL1200C Sporty
Peer Review:

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  6:29 PM                       Like
I'm interested in purchasing some saddlebags for my harley 1200c sportster. Naturally I do not wish to purchse them from a Harley dealer, because of their cost. I've been shopping around on the web and have come across other vendors where I can purchase saddlebags at a resonable cost.

Question I have is that these saddlebags are throwover rather than a rigid mount. Has anyone purchased this kind of bag? Can you comment on like or dislike.

Thanks

Edited by - harley1200c on 05/23/2005 7:44 PM

subvetSSN606
Senior Member
418 Posts
[Mentor]


Ellettsville, IN
USA

Suzuki

800 Intruder

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  9:30 PM
You can mount the throw-over style under the pillion seat for a more "permanent" setup.

Tom

PS Not a Sporty, but here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...11d501f3.jpg

One problem with most throw-overs is that they're not waterproof, so use zip-lock bags for anything you don't want to get wet.

Edited by - subvetSSN606 on 05/23/2005 9:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

5150
New Member
10 Posts


Corvallis, Oregon
USA

Honda

VTX 1300S

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  11:05 AM
I really like my slant saddlebags from Tourmaster. They are priced reasonably and they easily zip on and off for when you need to wash your bike. Here's a link: http://www.tourmaster.com/product.html?sku=78-322

Rick
Go to Top of Page

harley1200c
Junior Member
64 Posts


Surprise, Arizona
USA

Harley-Davidson

2005 XL1200C Sporty

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  5:53 PM
thanks for the link...I will check it out. Do the throwovers just lay on the fender under the seat? Do they stay in place? Once again thanks for the tip....
quote:
Originally posted by 5150

I really like my slant saddlebags from Tourmaster. They are priced reasonably and they easily zip on and off for when you need to wash your bike. Here's a link: http://www.tourmaster.com/product.html?sku=78-322

Rick

Go to Top of Page

harley1200c
Junior Member
64 Posts


Surprise, Arizona
USA

Harley-Davidson

2005 XL1200C Sporty

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  5:55 PM
thanks for the pic of the bags...looks great on your bike. Do they stay in place? Do i need to worry about them getting close to the wheel?
quote:
Originally posted by subvetSSN606

You can mount the throw-over style under the pillion seat for a more "permanent" setup.

Tom

PS Not a Sporty, but here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...11d501f3.jpg

One problem with most throw-overs is that they're not waterproof, so use zip-lock bags for anything you don't want to get wet.

Go to Top of Page

subvetSSN606
Senior Member
418 Posts
[Mentor]


Ellettsville, IN
USA

Suzuki

800 Intruder

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  5:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by harley1200c

thanks for the pic of the bags...looks great on your bike. Do they stay in place? Do i need to worry about them getting close to the wheel?


Yes, they stay in place. They are layed across the fender and then the seat presses down on it.

Not visible in the picture are "saddle bag supports" that hold the bags away from the wheel. They're just a metal brace rigidly mounted to the bike. You can also zip-tie the bags to the supports for added security.

Here's a link to just one version: http://www.saddlemen.com/s3_index.html
Plenty of other options too, including your dealer.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Victory
Advanced Member
633 Posts
[Mentor]


Pawcatuck, CT
USA

Victory

10th Anny Vision

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  7:10 AM
Auburn makes nice leather saddlebags.
Check with Ghost Brackets or Easy Brackets and they should make them for your bike. These brackets are made to be removed. Someday if you decided to ride "bagless" you simply unlock the brackets and remove the bags and brackets. They are mounted to slotted pins that you install to your fender side bolts. If you buy bags with handles on the top it makes it a lot easier to carry them into the hotel room at night.
I have my bags attached to my bike but I have removalable bag liners. Of course they can be a bear to get out when they are packed. I also use a GIVI hard trunk for long trips that mounts to my luggage rack.

One thing to look for in a leather bag is the way the tops are formed. I have seen many saddlebags with saggy tops and they don't look good after awhile.

Corbin and National Cycles make hardbags if you are interested.
Go to Top of Page

Aero
Standard Member
157 Posts


Providence, RI
USA

Honda

Shadow Aero 750

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  6:28 PM
LeatherLyke also makes hard bags that look like soft bags.
http://www.leatherlyke.com/

Jarrod
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05