(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3457 positive of 3839 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Spark plugs
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

sdfilbeck
26 Posts

Mount Clemens, Michigan
USA

Peer Review:

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  11:38 AM                       Like
My question is in regard to initial maintenance and life of spark plugs. In particular, after the first 600 to 1000 miles on a bike, would you recommend the dealer do initial maintenance: ie, oil change, throttle/ carb adjustments.
Also, what is the typical life of spark plugs (in miles)on a motorcycle.

Ben
28 Posts

San Jose, CA
USA

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  11:39 PM
You may want to have the dealer do the inital wrenching on the bike - might be a condition of warranty. But whether or not the dealer does it, it SHOULD be done on a brand new bike. All those parts are wearing in and you want to make sure there's nothing catastrophic going on in there.

As for spark plug life - depends on the bike. For a two stroke: as long as the bike feels like letting you use the plugs (could be 10 years, could be 10 seconds). Four stroke: I haven't found the limit. I've run them for as long as 10k miles, and they still look/run fine. For a Harley: see "two stroke"...
Go to Top of Page

BDRONAGOLDWING
Starting Member
5 Posts

PINE BLUFF, AR
USA

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  2:36 PM
I have a '91 Goldwing and the manual recommends changing the sparkplugs every 4000 miles and the oil every 8000 miles, while this is the strangest thing I have ever heard of I go ahead and change the plugs and the oil every 4000 miles cause I can't let myself run oil that long.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05