(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Sharing of Lessons Learned
 Blind spots!
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Bouncer
Starting Member
2 Posts

Austin, TX
USA

Peer Review:

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  1:55 PM                       Like
I ride every day as long as we're not getting a gully-washer. And mostly all the riding I do is in traffic. I learned a long time ago that cages coming from the opposite direction sometimes turn in front of you. But I'm finding more and more instances where people merely change lanes right into you without a glance.

To keep myself safe, I STAY OUT of blind spots. Either in front of the cage or behind... but never beside. Not doing this almost wrecked me once. It won't happen again.

In the wind...

md2lgyk
Male Standard Member
228 Posts

Harpers Ferry, WV
USA

Honda

Shadow VLX

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  2:21 PM
Oh yeah, that's been one of my cardinal rules for years. Whatever it takes, I will NOT ride directly beside another vehicle for any longer than it takes to pass it.
Go to Top of Page

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  2:47 PM
Yeah, Right on!
I make it a practice that if I cannot see the driver in thier mirror, or if I am parallel with any part of thier vehicle- I get out of there. It's just common sense anyhow, since we cannot expect them to notice us- especially since even driving my car I've noticed that people ignore you too!
^o^
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  3:05 PM
That's one of the most useful things that I learned when I took the MSF Experienced Rider Course the first time. I may still be in someone's blind spot when I'm in the next lane and behind them, but if they make a sudden lane change, they're not going to bump into me unless they also jam on the brakes at the same time.

In the rare cases when I ride on the freeway, I'll creep up on cars in the other lane, look closely for any clues that they don't intend to stay in their lane, then accelerate past quickly and slow back down to whatever speed I was going before. When I'm going slightly faster than traffic in another lane, I don't hold a steady speed, I accelerate for three or four seconds, coast back down to speed for maybe five more, then resume my steady pace, repeating as I get to each car in the next lane. I don't ever trust a vehicle right next to me in the other lane.
Go to Top of Page

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  11:24 AM
Great advice all around. To it I add another dimesion of using my horn liberally. It is not my attention to be a nusance, but I rather get someone's attention and have them a little irritated, then not to get their attention and have them run into me. Parenthically - I have used my horn so much that the horn engraving in the button is almost worn away.

Ciao,

BadaBing
Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  12:51 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
What everyone failed to mention as being a good measure for making yourself visible especially in daylight is the headlamp. Is it maybe because maybe in the US your headlights should be on at all times day and night? In most european countries the headlamp must be on at all times (on dipped beam). Although this is not required by law in Malta, the bike I ride is equipped with this feature.

I find that when I am driving the car, a switched on headlight on a following vehicle be it a bike or another car will at some point grab my attention even if I am not looking at any of the mirrors. At some point even maybe through peripheral vision, that headlight will put a glare in my eyes through reflection in any one of the mirrors as the following vehicle or bike changes its position in the lane or between lanes.

If it is not required by law in your country, consider riding with your headlight on at all times. If it is, just ignore the above. Another option of alerting other drivers of your presence is to make yourself heard and as I have also read on many occassions, fitting louder aftermarket mufflers has the desired effect for being more conspicuous.
Go to Top of Page

md2lgyk
Male Standard Member
228 Posts

Harpers Ferry, WV
USA

Honda

Shadow VLX

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  1:48 PM
Required by law in the U.S. In fact, bikes sold here since maybe the mid-1980s don't even have an off switch for the headlight.
Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  12:14 PM
Yes, I find the headlight useful when following a cage. Since I am an avid believer in a modulating headlight, I aim it either hitting the rear view mirror or the side door mirror before I make any moves.

During my MSF class, one instructor talked about how dangerous 18 wheel truck tires can be on the interstate. He said to go like h*ll when you pass to get around as fast as you can. Then back it down and pull back into the right lane and slow down to speed. The advice was to stay away from 18 wheelers and the possibility a tire could blow. I admit, that's what I do. BUT, in no time at all I'm grossly exceeding the speed limit during the pass in a relatively quick time.

Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  12:21 PM
Heya
Yeah, I try to give the big trucks a _wide_ berth. A trucker associate of mine once mentioned that he doesn't like motorcycles- I thought he was gearing up for the usual "I woulldn't let my kids ride one.." type speech, but then he said simply
"We can't see 'em"
Made me think. So, yeah, I stay to the outside left when passing and and try to get a safe distance away. Courtesy helps too.
^o^
Go to Top of Page

firefly
72 Posts

Santa Monica, California
USA

Yamaha

vmax

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  1:49 AM
I ride daily surface street traffic and yes I agree to stay out of cars blind spots, but it is also beneficial to see what that driver is doing, if on a cell phone I zip right by them, if their head it turning toward my side or window shopping I move away to give myself more space. I make a path between cars leaving my options open to which lane is safer and which driver is just moving forward.
If you see the head of the driver turning toward your side get away, slow down or change lanes and do not get in the way, if that driver decided to move in my lane I'll just get in the lane he just left,
kind of a smooth space transaction, be fluid .
Every day brings more to learn .

Ride safe & have fun

firefly

quote:
Originally posted by Bouncer

I ride every day as long as we're not getting a gully-washer. And mostly all the riding I do is in traffic. I learned a long time ago that cages coming from the opposite direction sometimes turn in front of you. But I'm finding more and more instances where people merely change lanes right into you without a glance.

To keep myself safe, I STAY OUT of blind spots. Either in front of the cage or behind... but never beside. Not doing this almost wrecked me once. It won't happen again.

In the wind...

Go to Top of Page

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  9:52 AM
Hey firefly,

Good observations. At night, I wear a conspicuity vest that has high reflectivity in the dark.

Ciao,

BadaBing
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05