(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Sharing of Lessons Learned
 Did you ever say in your mind why are they stopped
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

firefly
72 Posts

Santa Monica, California
USA

Yamaha

vmax
Peer Review:

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  3:51 AM                       Like
In surface streets we encounter allot of hazards, but one of them is the rider him/her self.
Coming from behind an SUV and a van that did not move when the light turned green, no sirens or anything, I thought to myself these idiots why are they not moving ? I approached carefully and was intending to zip in between them, but as I approached the front of these cars I so what made them stop ( a homeless guy standing in front of the van and cursing at the world).
Lesson to learn: If cars are stopped there is a reason and I have to stop even if it was a false alarm and someone was occupied in a cell phone conversation or putting nail Polish. STOP STOP STOP.

firefly

nomad dan
Advanced Member
1276 Posts

Denver, Colorado
USA

Kawasaki

06 Vulcan Nomad 1600

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  9:44 AM
I have seen the same situations of stopped cars for no reason, planning to go around, and then I see that there is a cross-walk that I didn't see and there are people walking in front of the stopped vehicles.
Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  8:48 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
It is all part of the hectic life we live nowadays. We barely have time to stop and think, but just want to rush on with all we do. Always on the move, always in a hurry.

This happens to all of us sometime or another. When we realise why traffic is stopped we just thank our lucky stars that we did not make better fools of ourselves by pressing on the horn or jesticulating for the "stupid" drivers to just get on with it.

It usually happens to me when I'm driving in my car. As for the bike, I don't have the confidence and experience through many years of riding but merely been riding for a few months, so at least for now, I am more happy to sit it out and wait.
Go to Top of Page

DoubleDip
262 Posts

Erlanger, Kentucky
USA

Yamaha

650 V-Star Silverado

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  5:37 PM
Marsam,
I agree with you...
When I started riding just a few months ago I made myself a promise that riding was for pleasure and I WOULD NOT ride when there was any type of deadline even one in my own imagination. I tend to be a type A personality when driving and cannot risk this on the scoot as I do not have the skill or expierence it would take. Besides it's much more fun to have no where to go and all day to get there...
DD
Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  12:04 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Hi DoubleDip,

Yes I agree. I use the bike only for pleasure. But I know that I am rather more agitated when I am commuting to work in my car and rather late. I guess that those who use bikes to commute as being there only means of transport, must feel the same pressures and anxiety when the appear to be stopped for no apparent reason.

The thing is that in the thick of rush hour traffic, there is seldom a chance that drivers stop for no apparent reason as everyone must (like myself) be in the same sort of hurry.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05