(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Campfire chat
 Weather forecast - not reliable
Member  Discussion Topic   

mgow
14 Posts

Lebanon, MO
USA

Honda

Aspencade - 1984
Peer Review:

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  8:40 PM                       Like
Well this morning a few of the guys from where I work got in our Spring Break ride - finally. We had put it off all week; as the weather forecasts kept changing. Yesterday the forecast was for today to get up to about 65F and partly cloudy so we met at 10 am and started our ride. It was 54F at the time. That was as warm as it got today!

I never did get to remove any layers of the clothes I had on. It just got colder and foggier and mistier as the day wore on. We stopped for lunch and it was 48F. We left the restaurant at 1:30 pm and it was 46/47F. I'm sure our waitress couldn't figure out why we were taking so long to leave the table (I think she figured it out when she saw us get on our bikes)! I don't think we really wanted to get back out; but, we got back out put on some more gear and got back on our bikes and hit the road.

It was was a great ride on some nice back roads. We could've jumped on the interstate and gotten home in a hurry; but hey, what fun is that. So we wound through the countryside and made the best of it. A light mist and a light fog was our weather for the afternoon.

We got home around 4:45 and as we drove by the time & temp sign it read 42F. So instead of getting the 11 to 12 degrees warmer we were expecting; it got that much cooler.

Oh the joy of a Missouri day. Like the "old timers" around here say, "If you don't like weather, just wait an hour; it'll change!"
It was fun and I'm glad we got it in. I just know tomorrow it will be 70 and sunny!

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17375 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  8:47 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I love it! The number of times I have set out on a ride dressed based on what the weatherman has forcast and found myself dressed wrong is countless.

As you said in so many words, it's the ride that counts. If everybody makes it back safe and sound, it was a great ride and you done good!
Go to Top of Page

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  9:44 PM
Meteorologists are the only profession where you can consistently be wrong at your prognosis or prediction of weather and still have your job.

I have used Doppler radar maps, weather.com and other predictors that are available on the internet, but what I usually do now is something more empirical: I go outside and look around and make a decision as to whether it is suitable to ride. Seems to work most of the time.

Ciao,

BadaBing
Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  5:07 PM
BadaBing- Economists can also be wrong most of the time and still have a job.

The good news is that you actually got out and rode! When we calculate the number of 'perfect weather days' in a year, there aren't many! It's too cold, it's too hot, it's too windy, it's supposed to rain, supposed to storm, etc.

I hate when I cancel plans to ride when the weather forecast is for rain-rain-rain, then thunderstorms, lightning storms, high winds and more rain-rain-rain...only to see the sun come out and have a gorgeous day, and I'm stuck behind my desk.

Dealing with the weather is part of what riding is about, is it not? Keep smiling!
Go to Top of Page

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  8:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Randy

BadaBing- Economists can also be wrong most of the time and still have a job.

Hey Indiana Randy,

Darn! I knew I should have become an economist.

Well anyway I don't listen to weather people or economists.

Ciao,

BadaBing
Go to Top of Page

Sox Fan
Male Senior Member
419 Posts
[Mentor]

Kerhonkson, NY
USA

Suzuki

DL 650

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  10:49 AM
I usually figure any forecast beyond 12 hours has a 50% chance of changing within that 12 hours. Beyond 24 hours I don't really count on the forecast except in a general sense. Better to look at the weather map of the country and see what's coming. If there's a line of high pressure systems across the country, we're probably good for at least a couple days of decent riding weather. If there's a bunch of lows headed our way, I figure we'll get some amount of rain out of it. Temps are tougher to guage, so I just make sure I have some extra gear to add so I'm good down to 35F or warmer.
Go to Top of Page
   Discussion Topic   
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05