(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Preventative Maintenance
 Chain lube, revisited
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

gdickelman
Male Advanced Member
1205 Posts
[Mentor]

Annandale, VA
USA

Moto Guzzi

California Vintage

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  2:35 PM                       Like

I am considering a passive chain lube system for my Ducati MST1100s.
Any recommendations? There seems to be three or four systems on the market. Some integrate with the ignition, others vacuum. I am concerned about voiding the warranty. My bike is a 2009.

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1668 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Kawasaki

2006 VN900

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  11:03 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
When it comes to new bike warranty and the addition of anything to the bike that raises the question of whether or not the warranty could be violated, this should be discussed with the Dealer and/or manufacturer.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  9:03 AM
An automatic chain lubricator is not going to void the warranty on a Ducati.

I've read a little bit about them on the Yahoo group st2_owners and those who use them claim that they are wonderful once they're dialed in properly. Gary Eagan, the long distance record rider always has one installed immediately whenever he gets a new bike.

I don't remember the brand names right now, but there are two brands that are held in highest regard. The ones that lubricate the correct amount based on speed and distance are usually considered the best. The ones where you have to occasionally make it send more lubricant to the chain are not as well regarded.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  10:39 AM
Remember the greasy ducktail hairstyles of the 1950s that the Harley riders had? Automatic chain oilers were standard on the big twins. They took care of the chain as well as the hairstyle.
Go to Top of Page

CanuckSV
Male Starting Member
5 Posts

Calgary, Alberta
Canada

Suzuki

SV650S

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  5:24 PM
The verdict still seems to be out on these.
There are only haters or lovers, no in between.
As in a previous post; "dialing in" seems to be the trick.
But I can't figure out how you can spray oil on a chain while moving at 60 mph and not get splatters?
And then, if you use one of these, how often would you actually clean your chain? Spraying clean oil over top of road gunge just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Once your on top of it, chain cleaning and lubing takes maybe 10 minutes. Not much time to save you the cost of chains and sprockets me thinks.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  5:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CanuckSV

The verdict still seems to be out on these.
There are only haters or lovers, no in between.

I'm in between.

I have nothing against automatic chain oilers, I just don't want to spend the money to buy one or spend the time to install one. But if one were on my bike I would use it. If I were doing serious long distance riding I would have one.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  5:41 PM
Oilers are too messy for my tastes. I use DuPont Dry Wax Multipurpose lube with Teflon. After applying, it dries like floor wax and leaves no mess at all. In the USA, the Magnuson-Moss warranty act requires voiding of warranties to only apply to user installed parts that actually do damage. If an oiler or other add on does damage, only the damage it causes can be taken out of warranty coverage. It's against the law to void the warranty on any other parts. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Act
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05