(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Preventative Maintenance
 Keeping your bike clean
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  2:29 PM                       Like
For the last year or so I have been cleaning all parts of my bike with the Original Honda Spray. It works very well. Spray it on, wipe it off.

However, I just learned of a equally good cleaning substance and it is much cheaper then the commercial spray.

Mix three portions of Hydrogen Peroxide to one part of water. Put it is a spray bottle and spray on your bike. Wipe off. Does a great job and costs practically nothing.

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  3:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Texasphotographer

...cleaning all parts of my bike...

Is the peroxide mix for all surfaces (paint, chrome, metal, leather) or just some?

When I don't understand my own one line post you know it is time to edit it.

Edited by - rayg50 on 07/25/2009 4:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tburd
Male Senior Member
475 Posts

Waukesha, WI
USA

Suzuki

Boulevard S50

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  3:48 PM
Between major clean ups I've been using Lemon Pledge and it's worked great, so I thought I'd go out and get some of the 'good' stuff. I bought the Original Spray (previously OEMed to Honda) and my first impression was that it didn't seem any better than Pledge. I need to give it a few more tests but in my opinion Pledge is surprisingly good. And if your wife doesn't catch you sneaking it out of the house it's 'free.'
Go to Top of Page

madjack
Male Junior Member
98 Posts

Lakefield, Minnesota
USA

Honda

2000 Valk, 85 V65

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  6:18 PM
I've been using a product called Rejex the last couple years. It is a polymer treatment. I put a coat of it on my bikes in the Spring, you use it the same as you would any wax, during the summer, I just take a wet wash cloth to get dirt and bug brains off, than just buff with a soft bath towel. it looks just like I just waxed it everytime, no more treatment is really needed all summer. I put another coat on before I store it for the winter. It was developed for aircraft to treat the fuselage or something to keep crap from sticking. When I used to wax my bike with waxes, Meguires or Mothers, for instance, I had to wax it several times over the summer, not with this stuff. I will continue using it until I hear of something that might work better.
Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  3:11 PM
H2O2 as a motorcycle cleaning agent? Here is some info on H2O2;

Hydrogen peroxide is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) as an antimicrobial agent, an oxidizing agent and for other purposes by the FDA.

Hydrogen peroxide has been used as an antiseptic and anti-bacterial agent for many years due to its oxidizing effect. While its use has decreased in recent years with the popularity of readily-available over the counter products, it is still used by many hospitals, doctors and dentists.

* Like many oxidative antiseptics, hydrogen peroxide causes mild damage to tissue in open wounds, but it also is effective at rapidly stopping capillary bleeding (slow blood oozing from small vessels in abrasions), and is sometimes used sparingly for this purpose, as well as cleaning.
* Hydrogen peroxide can be used as a toothpaste when mixed with correct quantities of baking soda and salt.
* Hydrogen peroxide and benzoyl peroxide are sometimes used to treat acne.
* Hydrogen peroxide is used as an emetic in veterinary practice.

And some people use it to clean their motorcycles
Go to Top of Page

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Randy
[And some people use it to clean their motorcycles

Good one Randy. I liked the original Honda Spray so much I bought a case of it and gave cans to friends. Then, I tried Lemon Pledge and this too, was a good cleaning device. A friend suggested the Hydrogen Peroxide and it seems better and substantially cheaper than the other two normally used cleaning agents.

This will clean the most stubborn stains/grease on your bike, but it is safe enough that physicans use it full strength as an eye and ear wash.

Go to Top of Page

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1668 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Kawasaki

2006 VN900

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  5:40 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Keeping your bike clean is an important factor in preventative maintenance. Not only does it serve to show one has pride in their ride, it also makes it easier to conduct pre-ride inspections and normal maintenance inspections when everything is visible and not covered with dirt. Cleaning the bike also affords the perfect opportunity to get a good closeup look at our bikes and catch anything that may be amiss. A perfect opportunity to look at the brake pads and check the tire pressure as well as other things.
Go to Top of Page

Chicka_Dee
Female Junior Member
92 Posts

Durham Region, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

AN650, Yamaha YP400

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  3:06 PM
quote:

This will clean the most stubborn stains/grease on your bike, but it is safe enough that physicans use it full strength as an eye and ear wash.

Thanks for the good bike cleaning hint, but just to clarify: full strength hydrogen peroxide is extremely corrosive. What you have been using--and referring to as "full strength" in your advice above--is likely a 3% solution (my bottle says 3% 10 volumes), of the sort one could buy off a drugstore shelf. I recall at a former workplace we used to store our full strength hydrogen peroxide under lock and key, and wear protective gear when handling it (to mix the dilute solution we normally used).

Go to Top of Page

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  6:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Chicka_Dee

quote:

Thanks for the good bike cleaning hint, but just to clarify: full strength hydrogen peroxide is extremely corrosive. What you have been using--and referring to as "full strength" in your advice above--is likely a 3% solution (my bottle says 3% 10 volumes), of the sort one could buy off a drugstore shelf. I recall at a former workplace we used to store our full strength hydrogen peroxide under lock and key, and wear protective gear when handling it (to mix the dilute solution we normally used).

Thanks Chicka Dee for the clarification. What I meant by "full strengh" was directly out of the bottle that I bought at a pharmacy. So, what I bought was the 3% strength. Then I mix it 3 parts of that to one part water. Absolutely, great for windshields, mirrors etc. The Honda spray or Lemon Pledge works better on the chrome and fenders etc.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05