(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3453 positive of 3835 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
  Training wheels for motorcycles
 Training wheels for motorcycles
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BubbaisaJCI
Male Starting Member
3 Posts

Dubuque, IA
USA

(None)

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  5:02 PM                       Like
I've read all of all of the good and bad ideas about training wheels you all have said. But until you have walked a day in a disabled person's body, you can't pass judgement. I know this because I'm disabled. 5 years ago I had a nerve disease go through my body and I would give anything to ride again even if it meant training wheels. To just to feel the wind in my face again. If it's not training wheels then would some motorcycle company come out with a four wheeler that you can ride on the street. Anything would be better than having to ride in a car.

(Deleted or Lost)

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  5:29 PM
Welcome BubbaisaJCI.
So would these helper wheel work for you? There are several alternatives available...
If you're serious maybe we can research the available alternatives for you.
Go to Top of Page

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1668 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Kawasaki

2006 VN900

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  5:46 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
BubbaisaJCI, don't be disheartened by the naysayers. Most are still young enough to believe they could never be in such a situation, or not enthusiastic enough motorcycle enthusiasts to persue the activity once it becomes less than convenient to do so. For those that would say that should they ever require something other than two wheels, then someone should take a baseball bat to them to put them out of their misery, I would simply respond that it would probably be more appropriate to save the time waiting and get on with it now.

As far as the "training wheels" go, I have seen them on bikes and read articles on them but I'm still not convinced they are a viable solution, but that is just my personal opinion. The fact that they allow one to lean their bike at speeds is a definite plus but I would be concerned with any possible malfunction of the lowering and elevation action of the device while the bike is moving.

The "voyager" conversion kits appear to be quite popular and are far less expensive than the full bore trike conversions but I personally have some misgivings about them also. However, despite that, a large number of people are using them without problems and I believe Warlock, on this site, utilizes this system and could give you some first hand knowledge in that regard.

Myself, I have found it necessary to utilize a Trike for two up travel but maintain my two wheeled Softail for solo riding and trips. The Trike is very stable and aside from not being able to lean on the turns, it still is more like riding a bike than driving a car. The important thing is that it keeps my wife and I in the wind when otherwise we would not be able to. As far as safety and handling is concerned, I would welcome anyone to ride with me and make their own determination of whether or not I am a capable rider with the Trike regardless of my physical requirement to ride it.

Only you can honestly decide what is best for you. You know your limitations and what would be required to compensate for them in riding a motorcycle. A Trike can be customized to employ many add ons that can make it more rider friendly especially in regard to hand and foot controls. Physical handicaps can be accomodated but there should be no compromise on ones ability to handle the finished product any less competently or safely than if they were completely able bodied.

Shopping for a new Trike can be a financial mountain that could be difficult to climb. Try looking for a suitable used one that has some of the mods that you may require. Quite often people have found that after a time riding their Trike, they have reached the point that they can no longer ride in a safe and competent manner and leave riding altogether. Most would be pleased to see their Trike purchased by someone else who can live their dream even if just for a while longer.

Give the matter some serious and honest thought and decide whether you could ride a three or four wheeled vehicle with the reflexes, competence, and safety that you would be able to ride a two wheeled vehicle if you had no disability.

I look forward to hearing what you ultimately decide. If your decision is in the affirmative, I would be happy to help you in any way that I can in researching and locating possible solutions. Feel free to PM me at any time.

Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  6:17 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I've only seen some homemade training wheel type rigs on tv, added to bikes for disabled motorcyclists. I'm not sure about the availability of such devices commercially.

I've also seen a couple of sidecar hacks made to accomodate a wheelchair with controls located on the sidecar side of the rig.

Like Nighttrain points out, there's several 3 wheeler options. Including the Can-Am Spyder with 2 wheels out front and a central rear wheel. They have an automatic, or semi-automatic (unsure which) version as well as a manual trans.

Piaggio makes a 3 wheel scooter, where the narrow tracked front wheels lean with the bike, just like a motorcycle. It has a locking mechanism to keep the bike upright by itself at a standstill, and it has an automatic transmission like most scooters.

My favorite of the bunch is the fairly faithful remake of the Morgan 2 wheelers being made in Oregon, using a bigtwin Harley engine up front. Although I doubt there's an automatic transmission version, if that's required for you. Maybe more car than bike, but it sure looks cool to me. http://cycle-car.com/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

OB
Male Advanced Member
529 Posts

Houston, TX
USA

Buell

1125CR and others

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  6:45 PM
check out this three wheeler by Can-Am

http://spyder.brp.com/en/

Go to Top of Page

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  7:19 PM
One of my best friends lost a leg and almost his life when a drunk driver hit him while he was on his motorcycle. This man, a former Army Command Sergeants Major, now rides a trike.

We went on a ride a few weeks ago and he says this gives him as much satisfaction as his motorcycle did.

Another friend just converted his Gold Wing in a Hanigan trike and says he wished that he did this years ago.

So BubbaasiaJCI, you can still ride and experience the wind in your face. You will just be on three wheels. If you would like to see a photo of my friends Hanigan trike, please send me a PM.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6925 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  7:45 PM
We had a thread a few years ago on this subject. I seem to remember posting a video of a paraplegic doing track days who had retractable training wheels on some sort of sport bike, a silver Honda CBR or something. He would roll his wheelchair over to the bike, lift himself on, strap his feet into place, start it up, then retract the wheels once he started moving. The guy was pretty fast on the track. He would come back into the pits and put the wheels back down (landing gear?) just as he was coming to a stop.

That would only work for someone who was a good rider before losing the use of his legs.

If I were in the same situation, I would get a motorcycle with a sidecar.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  9:26 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I forgot to mention Ural. They have some sidecar rigs based on a Russian made WWll BMW design. Shaft drive, and a 2 wheel drive option good for dirt roads etc (or maybe snow). They start at around $11,500 to boot!
Go to Top of Page

dhalen32
Male Moderator
846 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  9:31 AM
Bubba:
I don't know how you feel about scooters but Piaggio has started importing a machine to the states called the MP3. I believe that Gary Dickleman had one for awhile. They are an excellent, lightweight alternative to trikes that do not lean. The MP3 does not have to held up at a stop or lifted from a sidestand and still leans like a motorcycle. Here is a link to the piaggio website: http://www.piaggiousa.com/innovation.php
Dave
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  6:17 PM
I have a friend, also in his 60s who is considering this product.

http://www.landingear.com/

He is 5'5" and his Ultra is somewhat troublesome for him at times. He's an excellent rider, been riding safely for many years and a mentor of mine.

Seemed to me he knows what he needs to help him occasionally to balance while coming to a complete stop in less than ideal situations.

Kinda interested to see it operate once he decides to purchase.

I also crossed the St. Lawrence on a ferry next to a guy riding one of these. He and his wife loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLSTyvONNc A Spyder

Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6925 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  6:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SteveS

That's an interesting product.

So what happens when you have to stop on a road the slopes away to one side, or at the side of a heavily crowned road?
Go to Top of Page

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  7:02 PM
BubbaisaJCI -

Seems like several alternatives are being offered up for suggestion. They range from full touring size trike conversions to two wheels up front super scooters. I am sorry that you cannot manage a regular 2-wheeled bike. I hear the frustration in your post. As of 8/3/09 you have not followed up with any replies to the suggestions.

What is the extent of your disability? I am not trying to pry, but the info may give better qualified suggestions to putting you back in the wind. If your disability is severe, but you can ride in a car, perhaps a significant other could be trusted to pilot a sidecar rig. You as a passenger, but in the wind. If your disability just keeps you from being on two wheels, several 3 wheeled options have been offered.

What do you expect from that ride? Where do you want to go? Do you envision 300 mile a day treks? Do you just want to go 5 miles up the road to the grocery store?

I seem to remember several posts in regard to training wheels. Some said they would just need to retire from riding (a kind summary). Some said cool, I still get to ride. Nowhere did I ever remember anyone saying that someone else on that sort of rig should be made to stop riding. Only Night Train in this thread suggested that you should not ride if you were not capable of safely being in control once all accommodation was made. Sound advice. I do not think any body was ever in direct judgement of a handicapped persons ability to enjoy riding.

Hope you find a way to get back in the wind. You will not be judged by any intelligent person, unless your choice is not a safe one. Who cares what ignorant people think?

Edit - I just noticed that this was a linked topic. I reread the whole thread. There were a couple of posters that were promply put in their place by the more intelligent members. Once again, who cares what the ignorant think?

Edited by - Daddio on 08/03/2009 7:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scooter rider
Male Junior Member
74 Posts

Fletcher, Ohio
USA

Kymco

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  7:47 PM
Ok lets break this down

What are you needs ? An what is your budget ?

If it wasnt for flat decked step thru cvt scooters I would not be on two wheels .

Had a bad fall a work tore up my left hip an knee an have some nerve damage.
Have little feeling on top of my left foot makes shifting very interesting .

As others pointed out the PM3 scooter is nice but pricey . But not as bad as a custom trike

If your on a tight budget You mite look in to some thing like this
http://www.scooterdepot.us/Trike-3-...1-c-340.html
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  8:46 PM
BubbaisaJCI, Google search "Four Wheel Motorcycle", and you may find something like what you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1740 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  10:06 AM
Welcome to the site BubbaisaJCI. Lots of good ideas thus far, but I agree with others who have said we are shooting in the dark since we don't know the extent of your physical challenges, nor the resources available to you (riding buddy, spouse, finances, etc.), nor to what degree you are aiming to experience the wind in your face again.

We would like to help, as you can clearly see from the thoughtful responses above, but unless you are willing to provide us more information, all we can really offer is our sympathy. I am sure that is the last thing you want or need.

I encourage your continued participation here.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  3:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

quote:

That's an interesting product.

So what happens when you have to stop on a road the slopes away to one side, or at the side of a heavily crowned road?

Good question Scot!

There is a phone # and also an email address on the website. You could inquire there :)

Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6925 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  3:47 PM
quote:

There is a phone # and also an email address on the website. You could inquire there :)
Is there anyone here who cares enough to actually call them?

Since I know that I would never use such a device, I'm only curious in the "what could possibly go wrong with this" sense. If I ever reach the point where I can no longer ride motorcycles as they were designed to be ridden, I'll just switch to driving around in a convertible. You won't catch me on a trike, sidecar, or any bike with training wheels.
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1740 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  4:22 PM
I would offer that if the OP or any other readers have an interest in a product or service mentioned here, that they themselves can follow-up for more information and to ask specific questions related to their individual circumstances.

I am grateful to be associated with a membership that takes the time and makes the effort to offer sound advice and possible solutions for a complete stranger who obviously feels passionately about a subject such as this one. Thank you all.
Go to Top of Page

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1668 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Kawasaki

2006 VN900

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  5:18 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

quote:

Is there anyone here who cares enough to actually call them?

Since I know that I would never use such a device, I'm only curious in the "what could possibly go wrong with this" sense. If I ever reach the point where I can no longer ride motorcycles as they were designed to be ridden, I'll just switch to driving around in a convertible. You won't catch me on a trike, sidecar, or any bike with training wheels.

In respect to the first part of your post, I would think those that would actually consider utilizing the devices would have the interest to call them with a list of questions. For others, it would simply be a matter of idle curiosity and perhaps the curiousity wouldn't be motivation enough to make the call.

As far as your latter statement is concerned, I can fully understand you making it. I've made similar statements in the past. However, I have since learned there are times when life deals us cards that we aren't prepared to play. In order to play those cards into a winning hand, we have to do some serious soul searching and adjustments of lifestyle and attitude. If you are as passionate about riding as you appear to be, I am quite confident that if dealt those particular cards, you would want to live that passion in any way that you could safely and competently achieve. If you don't have the passion that I think you have, then you may find the convertible a reasonable substitute. It really comes down to personal choice. The important thing is for each of us to make the choice that is applicable to our own situation. All of we two legged people can offer what we would or would not do if we were to lose a leg, but once the leg has been lost, what we once perceived could very well be quite the opposite in reality.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6925 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  8:21 AM
Night Train, I didn't mean to infer that trikes, sidecars, or training wheels might not be a good thing for others, just not for me.

At one time in my past I was passionate about skiing too, but I reached the point where I could no longer make it even half a day skiing on the interesting runs where you have to carve a lot of turns to get down the hill, so I gave it up. It's not worth the bother to me to slide down the hills on the flat, smooth slopes. It just doesn't do much for me.

The same would be true of any motorcycle with more than two wheels. For me.

But I'm still curious how those retractable training wheels work on a road that slopes to the side.
Go to Top of Page

(Deleted or Lost)

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  3:26 PM
Briefly they are independently sprung and damped. The actual implementation of that broad categorization is different in each case, but I would assume each manufacturer has addressed it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05