(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Preventative Maintenance
 Low beam on headlight
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  6:11 PM                       Like
Over the last year I have replaced three headlight bulbs because the low beam keeps burning out or so I thought. Replaced two bulbs in the past week as the dealer told me they would have to keep the bike one to two days to diagnose all of the electrical.

Today, I opened the bucket with the power on and moved the wires around and the low beam which I thought had failed lighted. Works on high beam also. So, instead of having a serious electrical problem I most likely have a wire that has a bare spot and should be able to fix that with a bit of electrical tape. At least, I hope that is the problem.

However, due to the failure(s), I went to WalMart and bought a new bulb which I will keep in the saddle bag which I feel is really cheap insurance should a bulb actually fail at night. Of course, I would get to a safe spot before working on the bike at night. Just thought I would share the idea.

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  6:45 PM
A bare wire contacting where it shouldn't would cause a short circuit and blow a fuse. What you are describing are the symptoms of an open circuit. A connection is not being made properly. A marginal connection often shows a discoloration in the area from excess heat. Check your connections.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  4:17 PM
I had problems with the electrical connections of my ST2 headlight. I finally took the whole assembly out and cleaned it up. I added solder to a couple of spots to make better connections. I no longer have problems keeping the headlight on. The low beam is still one of the worst headlight designs I've ever seen, though. Fortunately I almost never ride at night, so it doesn't matter that much.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05