(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Preventative Maintenance
 Snow days project
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  8:21 AM
One thing to watch out for is cutting off the connector on a plug in GPS power wire to create a hard wired system. Often, there is a 5V converter in the plug and cutting it off means putting 12-14V into a device designed to use 5V. That is not good. I put a cigarette socket and a Ram mount on the dash for my digital camera. A 5V converter plug feeds it. A USB plug for a camcorder is planned for the future. A great source for motorcycle electrical items is http://www.easternbeaver.com/
Jim pretty much runs a one man shop for quality stuff specifically designed for motorcycles.

Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  9:13 AM
It occurs to me I was being stupid. A standard twin-lead, lamp cord if you will is often terminated in a coaxial connector. My heated gear is terminated in exactly this way, as is quite a number of motorcycle electronics, including the Battery Tender. And yes, in that context, it is merely two wires that can easily be cut and terminated.

I guess thats what happens when geeks interpet things a bit too literally. Sorry for the misdirection earlier.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  7:25 AM
More than you ever wanted to know about how to make sure your wiring connections are up to speed from the folks at NASA.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/codeq...ee/87394.pdf
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05