(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 How To ...
 Preventative Maintenance
 mini-compressor
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit
Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  10:23 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
I keep my bike in a shed, so I don't have an outlet back there or a 110v compressor. I kept a 12v compressor in my truck, but then that was also a pain in the neck. Do I bring the truck to the back yard, or my bike to the street for air. I'd end up riding to a gas station with free air, but without the old fashion psi setting.

One thing I found was just a short blast of air most likely results in adding 15psi where I only needed 5. Another was, on a Sunday when they were closed for the day, they must have shut off the compressor. When I was "filling" and hearing the air moving, I was actually letting air out of my tire.

I added hard bags to my bike, then more recently a battery tender type of pigtail to my battery. It is readily accessible without removing anything.

I don't have a cigarette lighter/outlet on my bike so I cut off the plug to the air compressor and spliced in a SAE plug which plugs right into the battery tender pigtail. (I bought it at a car parts store for a couple bucks.) The compressor is small, so I carry it in my bag.

Now when I check my tire pressure, the air source is readily available. I've even suggested to buddies to check their air, and had both the gauge and compressor to top them off right there on the spot.

For me, the most important thing is, I no longer have obstacles or excuses not to check my tires often. I may find other uses for that battery tender connector too.
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  11:46 AM
You might consider a small 1 gallon "bubble" or air tank. You can fill it at the gas station when convienient. A one gallon tank filled to 125 psi should be sufficient for quite a few pressure adjustments.

If you'd prefer a bit more technical approach, consider a single 2x2 foot solar panel (50watt-12VDC) and small controller charging a larger (12AH+) gell-cell battery. The battery provides sufficient storage for the compressor, the solar panel replenishes the battery over time. As a bonus, within reason you can also use the battery system for music and lighting.

You may also have the option of running an underground or aerial feeder from the house to the shed. The distance and what you intend to power in the shed determine the size and ampacity of service. If your power needs and distances are small the materials are inexpensive.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  12:34 PM
I found a nice compact compressor at wally-world, as part of a slime repair kit. This unit has an easy to read gauge, that goes from 0-100 PSI, which is better, and easier than some with a 0-300 PSI range. For a mere $20. I keep it in my saddlebag, along with a tire plug kit. Between checking my tire pressure, and fixing flats for friends, it's paid off, for me.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  1:25 PM
Couple of years ago I purchased a Kendon Motorcycle Lift and needed a compressor to use it. Ended up with a 33 Gal. 150 PSI 1.5 HP compressor from Sears. Way more than I needed for the lift and the small air needs I had. But my philosophy is if a little power is good than more power is better and way more power is best. It has been one of the best additions ever made to the workshop/garage, not sure how I every got along without one. PIC.

Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  1:35 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Axiom, awsome, and it has wheels. Put a hitch on it and you're good to go on the road.....like mine

Just kidding
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  2:53 PM
LOL, Thats a garage? Looks like a family room with tools in it.

Curious why you'd ever park your bike in the shed.

My garage looks like a garage, Though I guess a couch, lazy-boy, TV, stereo and computer occupying half a bay may seem a bit out of place, to some.

I hide the compressor inside a cabinet, the bike occupies the back half of the same bay, in plain view. Not hidden in a shed somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  4:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Axiom2000

But my philosophy is if a little power is good than more power is better and way more power is best.

My philosophy has been, if a little is good, and more is better, than way too much, is just about right
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  5:30 PM
I carry a little 12V air pump under my bike's seat. It works like a charm. Neither I nor anyone I've come across has had a flat tire since I got it.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  6:48 AM
quote:
LOL, Thats a garage? Looks like a family room with tools in it.

Neibor;
Thanks, and I will admit to harbouring a certain level of obsession about my garage. Over the years I have made a semi significant investment in tools and equipment to make it my castle. Of course no matter what I do or think my wife just thinks it's a place to park her car and store mundane household stuff.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  10:43 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
My intent here was only that there must be others without garages, air compressors, electricity handy etc. If that's the case, then checking tire pressure may be put off somewhat.

The small compressors are cheap, and work well enough for motorcycle tires.

Many of us don't have a cigarette lighter outlet, or want to wire one in. So, the SAE connector is a viable solution to power a small compressor, and maybe other things in the future. IE: a work light, a bike to bike jumpstarter, or a cigarette lighter outlet on a pigtail for cell phones, gps etc.

I actually enjoy the ability to check my tires often now, and top them off right on the spot with no effort.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05