(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3446 positive of 3828 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Rider Training Courses
 Can the Effectiveness of Training Be Measured?
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Robsalvv
Male Standard Member
204 Posts

Melbourne, Vic
Australia

Kawasaki

ZX9R

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  6:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rayg50

quote:
The ridecraft structure is somewhat open ended as it's not constrained to a weekend course...
Conjures up the image of a mentoring program, in my mind.

One of the common critiques of many training courses is their limited duration. This (ridecraft) sounds as if it attempts to provide an answer to that (perceived) flaw. I personally don't believe that in a couple of days a great impact can be had on a predisposed mindset when you have a dozen or so students, a ton of material, and only a couple of coaches.

However, I do believe that over time it would be possible to have an impact.

Cheers Robsalvv, can you flesh out how it is structured?

Hi Ray, yes, I think that's a fair description, with one caveat, it is a formalised mentoring program. Each ride has goals or things to work on. There's homework between sessions. The coach is looking for clear evidence of behaviours.

The first session has two parts, evaluating the rider's hazard perception and identification strategies and then a ride to look for evidence of the rider's roadcraft strategies. What comes out of the debrief guides the path that the subsequent sessions will take / focus on. These sessions are essentially a longer ride with the routes chosen to focus on the things the rider needs to work on. The rides are broken into legs so that there are regular stops for discussion/reflection/analysis. When the rider demonstrates consistent performance over a couple of sessions, a final evaluation ride is arranged over a very specific route which is sure to bring out all elements of a rider's roadcraft. So you can see, it's not about bike handling skills per se', but about mental riding skills. At the bronze level, this is all city / urban based. Silver and Gold levels take it out into the open road.

How many sessions the whole process takes is up to the rider. They are guiding their own path and analysing their own attitudes / strategies / deciding whether the material works for them... my role is to help guide that process and if I do my job well, I should do myself out of a job.

Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  6:28 PM
Thanks for the additional information. It sounds promising.
Go to Top of Page

Horse
257 Posts

Newbury, Berkshire
United Kingdom

BMW

R850RT

Posted - 02/15/2016 :  3:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DataDan That's exactly what the California Program Evaluation found. When comparing trained vs. untrained riders in a group that included only people with <= 500 miles of riding prior to the experiment, the trained riders did a LOT better in the first 6 months. Just the basics of learning to brake and steer can prevent many raw noob crashes.

Dead link. I think this is it?

https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/i...eimer_01.pdf

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05