(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Theme
 Acknowledgements
 It's official
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  6:55 PM                       Like
I am now a licensed amateur radio operator. Sat for and passed the FCC Technician Class License this evening, scored a 100%.

Originally started this quest in order to mount a HAM radio on the motorcycle. After all the studying and learning of what is really involved I have decided against that. Even with VOX, helmet mounted speakers and MIC it would be just too much of a distraction and a real compromise to safety I believe.

Not sure what I will do with it to tell the truth, most likely I will start with a small base station and see how I like it. There is still a tremendous amount to learn the Tech Class License is the entry level and limits the holder on what can actually be done.

If anyone ever thought about trying this, now would be the time. The tests no longer have a requirement for Morse Code. I don't want to say the test is easy but anyone willing to spend 30 to 40 hours reading and studying would do fine with the Tech. Class test.

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1668 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Kawasaki

2006 VN900

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  7:23 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Congratulations, although you've decided not to use it on the bike, I am sure you will find countless hours of enjoyment on the Ham radio elsewhere. Always nice to learn something new and to challenge ourselves at any age.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  4:04 PM
Well now it is really official, today my name and new call sign appeared in the FCC database. So just call me KB3TXP

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17377 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  6:04 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Congratulations!

You never know when that ticket might save a life - even your own. Even if it doesn't, you learned a lot and accomplished something a lot of people simply cannot manage.

73's

KC5DWS
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  6:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Axiom2000

Well now it is really official, today my name and new call sign appeared in the FCC database. So just call me KB3TXP

Jerry

Axiom2000 has always given me problems on the keyboard. KB3TXP is a piece of cake.

Congratulations. Always nice to hear when effort bears fruit.

Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  8:31 PM
quote:
You never know when that ticket might save a life - even your own. Even if it doesn't, you learned a lot and accomplished something a lot of people simply cannot manage.

73's

KC5DWS

Jim, I did not know you were a HAM, after I get set up and get a little experience we will have to try for a DX contact. It may be difficult given the frequency limitations for the Tech license but I have talked with many Techs who have managed all of the CONUS

quote:
Axiom2000 has always given me problems on the keyboard. KB3TXP is a piece of cake.

Ray, I know it's a PITA, just call me Axe.
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1470 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  5:29 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
You guys who are HAM operators always have my admiration. I know it's gotten easier to get your ticket, but I'm afraid I've got so many other irons in the fire that I'm always going to be an admirer, not one of the clan.

Nevertheless -- BRAVO!

Cash
Go to Top of Page

MattInFla
Male Senior Member
254 Posts
[Mentor]

Casselberry, FL
USA

Harley-Davidson

Electra Glide Classi

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  5:21 AM
quote:

I am now a licensed amateur radio operator. Sat for and passed the FCC Technician Class License this evening, scored a 100%.

Originally started this quest in order to mount a HAM radio on the motorcycle. After all the studying and learning of what is really involved I have decided against that. Even with VOX, helmet mounted speakers and MIC it would be just too much of a distraction and a real compromise to safety I believe.

Not sure what I will do with it to tell the truth, most likely I will start with a small base station and see how I like it. There is still a tremendous amount to learn the Tech Class License is the entry level and limits the holder on what can actually be done.

If anyone ever thought about trying this, now would be the time. The tests no longer have a requirement for Morse Code. I don't want to say the test is easy but anyone willing to spend 30 to 40 hours reading and studying would do fine with the Tech. Class test.

Congratulations! I'm N3MCZ, now a General class, but I started out as a Technician class.

I completely agree that operating voice on the bike could easily by a safety issue.

That said, I have a 2m radio installed on the bike, along with a 50 RF amp. It runs APRS, and lives in the saddle bag. I have no access to the radio while riding, but if a need arose I can park, pull the radio out and switch to voice and call for help, etc.

Ham radio is a lot like motorcycling - there are many, many different ways to enjoy the hobby.

Matt
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  5:41 AM
quote:

Originally started this quest in order to mount a HAM radio on the motorcycle.

Congrats AX...
I admit, I was concerned when you posted of your plans to use HAM radio while on the motorcycle. Being an "old fart" I tried to envision you riding, while keying a Morse message.

Kudos for a job well done

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  6:03 AM
Thanks Matt,
I can see where this could become an all consuming hobby. Other than an education experience where I have learned many things I thought I never would, the best part is meeting so many very nice folks. Ham seems to attract people who are so willing to help others for no reason than the love of radio.

I discovered passing the test was the easy part, there is so much more to learn before you can actually become a competent operator. I joined the radio club that administered the test and now have two of the members, both Extra Class 30 year Hams, as Elmer's who have been more than helpful. Both are pushing me to sit for the General Class ticket. I have been studying hard and feel semi confident I could pass that test. I may give it a shot this Wednesday evening, we shall see.

No doubt that Amateur Radio is vastly more complicated than riding a motorcycle, however it is a shame that riding culture and regulations did not evolve similar to radio. Just think how much better off new riders would be if that had happened. A system of tiered licensing and a group of volunteer mentors to shepherd the novice rider until some level of independent competence was reached.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05