(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Tire Repair
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

brooks10
Male Standard Member
136 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Buell

XB12X

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  6:08 PM                       Like
I had a flat in my rear tire on Sunday about 250 miles from home. I inserted a plug and used my little compressor then rode home with no problems. I called 2 local Harley dealers today and both said they don't repair tires but will be happy to sell me a replacement. Is this normal practice for Harley-Buell dealers?

Thanks, Steve

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1668 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Kawasaki

2006 VN900

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  8:02 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I don't know if it's normal practice for most HD dealers but it certainly appears to be the practice of some. Our local HD dealer won't install tires he doesn't sell and if his prices were fair that wouldn't be too big a problem. However, his prices are usually too high by $100.00 per tire not including installation. Still lots of die hard Harley folk out there that wouldn't think of buying something for their bike elsewhere, so as long as there are enough suckers to keep them going, they don't need to cater to those consumers who may be more enlightened or informed. Try some of the other bike shops around and see what they have to say. Nothing wrong with a Kawasaki dealer repairing a tire for a Harley. Before I got my own tire changer and balancer, I was taking my wheels off and having the local Kawasaki dealer install tires on my Harley.
Go to Top of Page

HeavyMetal
Male Junior Member
94 Posts

Kimberly, Idaho
USA

Honda

Valkyrie

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  10:00 PM
I have all my tires changed at a local automobile tire shop. Their equipment works just fine on my tubeless tires. they're not really any different than auto aluminum rims. I did have one shop that wouldn't change motorcycle tires so you may have to shop around. I have never had a flat on my street bike, but I'm sure the same patches used on a car tire would work.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  5:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by brooks10

I had a flat in my rear tire on Sunday about 250 miles from home. I inserted a plug and used my little compressor then rode home with no problems. I called 2 local Harley dealers today and both said they don't repair tires but will be happy to sell me a replacement. Is this normal practice for Harley-Buell dealers?

Thanks, Steve

Around here, it's hard to find a dealership, willing to "patch" an otherwise fine tire. Liability issues, and profits, are (in MY opinion) the key.
The indy shops will remove the plug, and put a patch inside the tire. But the charge of $65-100 per hour, might offset,any savings.

To the best of MY knowledge.. in the Raleigh-Durham... NOT patching a tire is SOP at dealerships... whether domestic, or import.
Go to Top of Page

dhalen32
Male Moderator
846 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  7:11 AM
Steve:
Not repairing/patching a motorcycle tire is SOP in most areas of the USA in my experience. The most often cited reason for this policy is the liability concern. The way most Americans behave these days regarding personal responsibility, I don't blame shops for not wanting to do that sort of repair. Just my opinion of course.
Dave
P.S. As a result, I simply repair my own punctures if the tire has some life left in it and that way I can only blame myself if it fails in a catastrophic manner.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6960 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  9:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by HeavyMetal

I have all my tires changed at a local automobile tire shop. Their equipment works just fine on my tubeless tires. they're not really any different than auto aluminum rims.

Are they able to balance the tire?

One of the advantages of having a motorcycle shop mount my tires is that they can also properly balance it. I buy all of my tires from the local Cycle Gear store and have them install them for an extra $20. They have decent prices and often have sales on tires that I like.
Go to Top of Page

Dnc
Standard Member
132 Posts

Edmonton, Alberta
Canada

Honda

CBR250RA

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  10:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dhalen32

Not repairing/patching a motorcycle tire is SOP in most areas of the USA in my experience. The most often cited reason for this policy is the liability concern. The way most Americans behave these days regarding personal responsibility, I don't blame shops for not wanting to do that sort of repair. Just my opinion of course.

Some of the shops in Canada refuse to repair tires as well. The dealer I bought my 125's from did repair a puncture on mine, but that was because they figured the bike wasn't going to be going fast enough for it to be a real danger. They also have a sign posted saying they reserve the right to refuse to work on bikes older than 1985 or so for similar reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1668 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Kawasaki

2006 VN900

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  12:47 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
My earlier post referred only to the installation of replacement tires. For some reason I had totally overlooked the tire repair aspect. Must have been one of those ever increasing "senior moments" that have become more prominent of late.

Although I have no doubt that a motorcycle tire could be adequately repaired, I can fully understand why a dealership would be gun shy of performing such repair in the light of potential liability. I personally choose not to repair motorcycle tires. I have no problem installing a plug(s) and re-inflating a damaged tire to get me home. However, my next immediate move is to replace the tire. To me, the cost of a tire is a small price to pay for the peace of mind and security of knowing there should not be any flaws or undo potential problems lurking on the horizon. I like to have my bike in top condition at all times so if the opportunity arises on short notice to go on an extended tour, I don't have to spend two days getting the bike ready to go.

Myself and a couple of my riding buddies hang onto the tires that we replace as they are usually in good enough condition with adequate thread life left in them to help someone out who needs a tire to get home and find themselves financially strapped.

The original poster didn't indicate how much wear was left on his tire. Although I have replaced new tires that have had to be repaired temporarily, for those less anal than myself, you should at least weigh the cost of repair against the lifespan left in the tire.

Financially, a 1/2 worn $100.00 tire doesn't really warrant a $65.00 repair cost.
Go to Top of Page

brooks10
Male Standard Member
136 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Buell

XB12X

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  6:04 PM
Thanks very much for the informative replies. The tire in this instance was a Pirelli Diablo Strada with about 5,000 miles. I think my best option is to replace it. I found a good shop that will sell me the tire for a little more than half the price that a Harley dealer will and I don't have to wait until they ship from Milwaukee.I feel confident that I can repair the old one myself and keep it as an emergency spare. Thanks again everyone for the great advice. In my previous biking life tires had tubes and there weren't as many liability issues.

Steve

Edited by - brooks10 on 06/08/2010 6:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

HeavyMetal
Male Junior Member
94 Posts

Kimberly, Idaho
USA

Honda

Valkyrie

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  6:36 PM
quote:
Are they able to balance the tire?

Sorry Scott, I didn't think of that. I balance my own tires before re-installing them on the bike.

Someone who is unable to do this would certainly be better off having a motorcycle shop mount and balance their tires.
Go to Top of Page

IronHenry
Male Junior Member
35 Posts

Phoenix, AZ
USA

Honda

'88 Magna

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  7:46 AM
I know I'm a bit late on this topic but...

If the shop has the correct adaptors, they can balance a motorcycle tire on an automotive balancer. (Cones that center the bearings on the shaft and a way to keep the wheel from spinning freely on the bearings.) Not sure on the chances of them having the adaptors, but it never hurts to ask.

As for repairing a tire, a simple plug won't work on bike tires usually. They tend to get yanked out, or leak, or both. If I try to repair a flat I use a plug with a patch backing. You have to take the tire off the rim though. You might be able to get away with just a patch. Never tried it.

Edited by - IronHenry on 06/30/2010 7:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

OlHossCanada
Male Junior Member
50 Posts

Lethbridge, Alberta
Canada

Kawasaki

1991 VN750 (Vulcan)

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  9:10 PM
I wouldn`n t trust a string or strip type tire plug as more than an emergency measure to get back home. However, in most conditions I would be willing to put a stopngo mushroom head plug in the tread portion of the tire and ride until the tire wore out. They also sell the sometime so called "stinger" plug and patch combo that is installed from the inside out.
http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

However there is a way to avoid most puncture flats. I will be installing RideOn tire sealant and balancer in my next set of new tires. This stuff is water soluble, unlike "Slime" and some other tire sealing products, and easily washes out with a hose, making it possible to patch from the inside if needed.
http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05