(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Safety Gear
 Any experience with Bohn Armor pants and shirts?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

serbear4u
Male Starting Member
7 Posts

Reno, NV
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 650

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  7:30 PM                       Like       
http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/

This would be my first set of "proper" riding protection.

I have to say that the testimonial about taking off a truck's bumper is intriguing.

Thanks for your input!

vivid dadas
285 Posts

Columbus, OH
USA

Suzuki

V-Strom 650DL

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  8:48 PM
I wear my motorcycle pants on the outside "for all the honest world to feel." Still, it looks like a good idea if you need to disguise the fact that you are wearing protective gear.
Go to Top of Page

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  9:40 PM
I use Icon field armor under kevlar jeans. Those are much cooler in the summer than even my mesh overpants. However, I can take them off when I get somewhere- I'm not sure how I feel about protective tights.
Go to Top of Page

Donryu
Male Standard Member
193 Posts

White Plains, New York
USA

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Limited

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  9:57 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Looks like great armor and protection. I am also in the process of acquiring my first real and complete set of protective gear so have been researching options.

The Bohn armor sounds great, I didnt see anything about a CE certification however nothing Ive seen in my research has convinced me that CE approved armor is inherently any better than some of the alternative composite materials and combinations.

One of the things that came up time and again in my research was the need for protective gear to both absorb impact and protect your skin from abrasions. Pretty much everyone in this community has far more experience than I do with this but it seems the Bohn armor combined with leather or textile pants with a high abrasion rating would make an excellent safety pant.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2273 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  5:24 AM

That looks like an interesting option and ideal for those that have to or want the option to wear any type of uniform or over-pant that has to meet some type dress requirement.
For the price of good Kevlar denim, not a bad trade off.

I'd be interested in seeing some comparisons with name brand protective designs as CE reinforced and others. The over-pant fabric or design could be a big inhibitor or detriment to the overall protection so it might be something considered as the least of options but better than just pants. Maybe the younger crowd that is still into peer pressure and wants to look fashionable and avoid the look of gear might be an application that hits a home run.

For me, the 'look' of gear is okay. I feel it telegraphs a commitment of striving to be safe, riding safe and just might earn the respect of other drivers on the road as long as I demonstrate safe and considerate riding / traffic management. They might not be as likely to be group me in with some of the stunters or other bad examples they've seen plenty of around town .... Anywhere, USA.

IMO, the bad examples precipitate aggressive driving and attitudes by many others on the roads multiplying the risks for everyone within there sphere.

~brian
Go to Top of Page

Razzoo
Male Senior Member
317 Posts

Phenix City, Al
USA

Triumph

Sprint & HD XLH1200S

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  4:52 PM

I have a pair of armored jeans, One of my major concerns with those loose fitting jeans is the armor might not stay where I need it. My thoughts are that with the the tights the armor might be more likely to stay in place. I would also like to hear from someone that had this product as to how it performed in warm weather.

As for the young being style conscious and conforming to peer pressure -- I see quite a a bit of that among some of the older cruiser riders as well.

Go to Top of Page

haithabu
Male Senior Member
282 Posts

Canmore, Alberta
Canada

Honda

Varadero

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  5:07 PM
I like to wear kevlar jeans because they allow me to hop off the bike and walk around without changing. There are strap on knee pads which you can wear under the jeans; the trouble is they don't breathe too well. I prefer to wear knee armour on top.
Go to Top of Page

haithabu
Male Senior Member
282 Posts

Canmore, Alberta
Canada

Honda

Varadero

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  5:26 PM
As far as style is concerned, I'm not as concerned about being a visible ambassador for safety gear as I am about being safe and stylish and comfortable. If there were more affordable options which incorporated all three in different styles, then maybe more people would gear up.
Go to Top of Page

serbear4u
Male Starting Member
7 Posts

Reno, NV
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 650

Posted - 06/26/2010 :  12:33 AM
I agree with haithabu, for the most part. I just want something comfortable that is safe. The more comfortable I am in riding gear, the more likely I'll wear ATGATT. I'm guilty of not doing that right now.
I actually called them up to ask some questions. My main one was how comfortable is the gear, really? And instead of answering, they gave me the contact info of another customer. I'm thinking that's pretty ballsy... And this lady told me that after she puts it on, she will actually forget about it, most of the time. That's pretty impressive in my view.
I do believe I'm going to go with the entire set.
Go to Top of Page

asheppard
Male Junior Member
83 Posts

Bedford, Nova Scotia
Canada

Harley-Davidson

'07 Dyna Super Glide

Posted - 06/26/2010 :  9:35 AM
I have been using Bohn-Armor (bottom & top) since March. I had purchased them earlier, but the sizing chart was larger than expected so the company gladly replaced them with a smaller size. This was really the only problem. The leg/knee, elbow & shoulder armor is far better than the inserts from H-D.

For low speeds, it does give me a sense of security & fairly comfortable, but like anything else the armor could move around a bit, if you are sliding down the road.

Other than the Harley-Davidson armor in my three jackets (I leave them in) I have nothing to compare with the Bohn-Armor.

I do think the sizing chart is out somewhat, but we are all built differently. I would say if ordered, try it on immediately to see if it fits properly and snugly. It does stretch quite well without a problem. If you need an exchange call Bon-Armor & get a RMA. Send only the mesh back for a different size as the armor is all one size, I am told. Shipping is cheaper this way and the return is quick.

I would almost like to have a pair of Kevlar jeans as well, but I have spent so much on clothing & helmets etc., I can't afford anything else.

Hopefully someone else can give their opinion on the Bohn-Armor gear for reference.

Alan Sheppard
Go to Top of Page

80 Posts

Basel, BS
Switzerland

Suzuki

GSX-R 600

Posted - 06/26/2010 :  11:15 AM
Full disclosure: I've never heard of Bohn armor, let alone tried it. I do, however, use "protection tights" on a regular basis. I find them very practical for use under my armorless leathers. As the leathers are not very breathable anyway I can't really comment on their breathability, but what I am very impressed by are their fit and comfort. I have the impression that they are much safer than the built-in armor in my textile jacket. The material holding the protectors in place really does its job - they don't slide around at all.

I give the untested foam of the Bohn armor the hairy eyeball. Take a look at http://www.forcefieldperformance.com/
I use the Action Shirt and pants, which are highly CE-rated.

The one drawback is that, like any tights, there is a certain amount of time it takes to wriggle into them.
Go to Top of Page

asheppard
Male Junior Member
83 Posts

Bedford, Nova Scotia
Canada

Harley-Davidson

'07 Dyna Super Glide

Posted - 06/26/2010 :  3:18 PM
The Bohn-Armor has a relatively good semi-hard forearm/elbow, shoulder, tailbone, back and tibia/knee protection.

Less dense "foam", if you want to call it that, for the thigh and hip area.

I am no expert, but at least I have something that easily goes on under clothing, is not conspicuous and hopefully affords some protection in low speed crashes.

Nothing will work if any amount of speed is involved.

Alan Sheppard
Go to Top of Page

halsey
Male Senior Member
321 Posts

davison, mi
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  6:45 AM
I am sitting in a pair of the Body armour pants they sell, right now. I like them. They breath well, pads stay put, and you really cant tell I am wearing them with a size larger pair of jeans. Like em. Good investment for me.
Go to Top of Page

acidragon12
Male Junior Member
90 Posts

Woodside, Ny
USA

(None)

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  8:38 AM
http://www.dragginjeans.com/ anyone here ever tried these?
Go to Top of Page

asheppard
Male Junior Member
83 Posts

Bedford, Nova Scotia
Canada

Harley-Davidson

'07 Dyna Super Glide

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  8:50 PM
It would be nice to see the Draggin Jeans have some built in armor.

The best of both worlds might be to use the Bohn Armor under the Draggin Jeans!

Alan Sheppard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05