(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 What does a stator do?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Ironhorse
Starting Member
5 Posts

vancouver, WA
USA

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  4:29 PM                       Like
I took my 1980 xs650 into a bike shop to get the valves adjusted. They ended up putting a new battery in it. Some how they managed to blow out the rectifier regulator and the stator. I took off the rectifier, which seems easy enough to replace but I don't know how to replaxce the stator. I don't even know what it does. It anyone know anything about this stuff, I could use as much advice info as possible.

howard.v
Male Senior Member
406 Posts

North Bend, OR
USA

Honda

2004 VT750 Aero

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  6:52 PM
If the shop is the one that blew the rectifier and stator, then they are responsible for making it right. Ie, fixing or replacing them. It would be worth it for you to get a shop manual for that bike. It would show you where it is and how to replace it.
Go to Top of Page

uncledrunkie
Standard Member
130 Posts

Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Illinois
USA

Kawasaki

Vulcan 500ltd

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  8:53 PM
The Stator, as it's name implies, just stays there. The magnetic coil spins around inside it, and the copper wire in the stator is what becomes excited and induces current. Short, it makes the electricity.
To replace it is different for all alternators, some just pop out, should have three wires. Most just sit in there and have the three screw holes with wires attached. Look in a manual or on line.

The battery was just a cover up for their mistake. Did they charge you for the new battery? Unfortunately, it will now be hard to prove that they did it. Since you opened it up, they are sure to pass the blame to you, especially if they are shady enough to replace the battery so you can drive away to find it later.
Go to Top of Page

subvetSSN606
418 Posts
[Mentor]

Ellettsville, IN
USA

Suzuki

800 Intruder

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  6:47 AM
To expand a little (in layman's terms) on how it works...

The stator is, as said above, a set of wire coils. As the bike runs a magnet spins inside the stator inducing an electical current in the stator. That current is an AC (alternating current) current. From there it goes to the rectifier which is a set of diodes that convert the AC current to DC (direct current) current. Then there's the regulator which is a circuit that controls the DC voltage output of the rectifier so that you will charge, but not overcharge, the battery, and also continue to run the electricals on the bike.

Hope that helps,
Tom
Go to Top of Page

Cruiser
Male Standard Member
127 Posts

Madison, WI
USA

Honda

ST1100

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  11:54 AM
Wow, talk about nasty surprises, eh? How did you find out about all those electrical problems? I'm no expert on things electrical by any means, but it sounds to me like somebody tried to jumpstart that bike using a car. I wouldn't take my bike back to that shop again.

When I first bought my bike I took it in to get the carbs cleaned, and I had a "tuneup" done at the same time. When it came back the drive chain and the cam chains were both adjusted WAY too tight. Those technicians are used to working on new bikes with new chains, and much more modern designs. Since then I've learned to do all of the maintenance myself.

You should go over to http://xs650temp.proboards29.com/index.cgi and become a little more familiar with your bike. The guys over there know more about that bike than any shop will.

Cruiser
Go to Top of Page

uncledrunkie
Standard Member
130 Posts

USA

Kawasaki

Vulcan 500ltd

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  12:48 AM
Funny, the last post made me think of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It also reminded me of how many times I have had to turn around and drive back to the shop to have them put something back together.
Go to Top of Page

uncledrunkie
Standard Member
130 Posts

USA

Kawasaki

Vulcan 500ltd

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  2:14 PM
Hey, if you want more details about how an alternator works, I forgot to mention this. The magnet that spins in side the stator is an electro magnet, meaning that it uses battery power to make a magnetic field. So it takes a little battery power to make power to recharge the battery. Well it adds battery power to the mechanical power, to get more electrical output than input.

P.S. Ironhorse, what is the outcome of all of this so far? They fix? You fix?
Go to Top of Page

travismhood
64 Posts

american canyon, ca
USA

Yamaha

xs750 sf

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  10:11 PM
useless info. the rotor isn't a true magnet but is magnetized by the current in the stator (A two way transformer.)the polls in the rotor(have absolutley no electrical connection) cut through mag flux lines -+-+ inducing AC to the rectifier wich chops up the current into DC. It is unlikly that these guys messed it up but there too dumb to know that. If it was a jump disaster you'll see some obvious meltage when you inspect it(but it is fuse protected). round cover. 3 screws right side. Same as xs 750 850 1100? I've got a few sitting around if you have trouble finding one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05