(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Wendy Moon Archive
 2006 Blog posts
 01-04-Dangerous Omissions, Pt. II
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Moonrider
Female Junior Member
26 Posts

St. Louis, MO
USA

Honda

VFR 750F
Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  6:04 PM                       Like
The Braking Breakdown

(Posted 01/04/06)

Let's first look at what braking information has been included in every iteration:

Stopping/Braking
That 70% of the stopping power is in front brake
Combination braking
Downshifting
Pulling in clutch lever
Both brakes applied (at the same time from the MRC on)

SkidsRear:
Ease off rear brake (in some form)

Maximum braking:
In first BRC called "fast stops" in others, maximum braking

Stopping/braking in a curve

Front skids are only really addressed in the BRC2 (which is an improvement).

That's all folks.

Everything else that has to do with braking, such as rolling on and off the throttle, appears in one or more iterations but not all of them.

But even though something may be taught and even though some of the same points are made, there are differences in how they are taught and how much information is given to the student and at what point in the curriculum they appear.

Before we begin, there will be some - like Tim and Ray or Attorney Vitrano - who may argue "what's in a word?" as if similar words mean the same thing. Or perhaps they'd argue that motorcycle safety training is like hand grenades and horseshoes. Iow, the general gist is good enough.

Of course, as a writer, I beg to differ, but also as a person I'd disagree. For example, "duck!" isn't the same thing as "get out of the way" although it is a kind of getting out of the way. "I like you" doesn't mean the same thing as "I love you." Many times, it really, really matters what word is used

And, speaking of hand grenades, it's not enough to tell someone how to pull the pin if you don't add "and throw it as far away from you as possible." While we'd think that would be a no-brainer, unfortunately people do incredibly stupid things all the time even though they should know better. Society thinks it's very important to include steps that seem blatantly obvious when it comes to procedures that could have a hazardous outcomesometimes it's even a matter of law.

The second automatic objection rider educators will make as they read the next entries is that even if it's not in the handbook, they "fix it" in what they say in the classroom or range. I'm glad and thankful they do. I appreciate their efforts. However, ultimately, I don't care.

I don't care because, as I pointed out yesterday, there's no way to guarantee it is fixed for every class, for every student. And, even more importantly, a *safety* curriculum has a moral, if not legal obligation, to be safe. That means being accurate and complete as to safe operating procedures. Imo, a safety curriculum must include all the student needs to know to operate the machine in question in a safe, effective manner.

Even if you disagree with me about that, I think we can all agree it shouldn't put the student at greater risk by omitting or not explaining critical steps.

So let's see what changes and omissions are reflected in the current BRC:
Next "stop"braking and stopping in general.
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05