(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Add-ons / Customization
 suspension upgrade
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Destinc
Male Junior Member
33 Posts

Brooklyn, NY
USA

Yamaha

'07 Roadliner

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  12:02 PM                       Like
Looking to upgrade the suspension on my '07 yamaha roadliner. Any suggestions on who makes the best shocks? I've heard good things about progressive, but I don't really know anything about this subject.

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  7:16 PM
There are a number of companies that make good aftermarket shocks. The best ask for the weight of the bike and rider plus the riding style to provide the best spring and damping rates. Progressive is one of the less expensive providers.
Go to Top of Page

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  3:38 AM
Greywolf-

Any brands to recommend for a typical street rider? I tend to use Wilber, or RaceTech since I can get some hefty discounts, but I'll admit I threw progressive springs front and rear on my sidecar rig since it was ~1/3 the price of other competitors at the time.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  4:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Destinc

Looking to upgrade the suspension on my '07 yamaha roadliner. Any suggestions on who makes the best shocks? I've heard good things about progressive, but I don't really know anything about this subject.

"upgrade" is such a subjective term........ what is your goal? what shortcoming are you hoping to cure?

Sometimes a "fix" is as easy as changing the fork oil weight, and turning the "preload" a notch or two.

I like progressives, as they tend to be "one size fits all". Olin is a good brand as well.
As always... more details will return better information.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  9:51 AM
Progressive is a brand name or a method of spring winding. Some clarification may be necessary. I prefer straight wound springs for street use. Preload should be used only to set sag. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.ph...,7132.0.html
Find out what your bike's suspension travel is and use the percentages quoted rather than the lengths unless your bike has the same suspension travel. The rear will need to be changed if the load carried is changed substantially, as in adding luggage or a passenger. Preload change does not make a spring stiffer or softer, it only changes the sag.

I don't know of a bad aftermarket shock but more expensive ones have more features like adjustability of damping in both compression and rebound for fast and slow reaction as well as hydraulic preload adjusting. I already mentioned custom damping and spring rate settings for your weight and riding style when built.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05