(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Preventative Maintenance
 It was time to lubricate some things.
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit
Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  12:24 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
I do my own bike maintenance, but I've overlooked some key parts to lube with a little oil.

I did front and rear brake pads recently, and always clean up the brake pistons while I have the calipers off, and the pads out.

The other day, my front brake was getting grabby. A little squeeze was ok, but to get more braking it took a bit more and then I got more of a grab than expected.

My first thought was some sticky caliper pistons, but while the bike was arked I played with the brake lever. It sure seemed sticky there, so I got a drop of oil on both sides of the lever near the pivot. Brakes are NOW smooth again.

With my oil can out, I thought it best to do the clutch lever, then the sidestand, the shifter linkage, brake pedal, and then clean and lube the chain.

Actually, I think the manual mentions like 12 lubrication points.

I bet if I get lazy on this, others do too. That grabby brake was actually dangerous, so I'm glad to take care of that.

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  12:47 PM
It is usually the simplest things that get neglected and your post is a timely reminder of the importance of "midsummer maintenance"
Here is a video on cable maintenance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Xm7VRbeyM

See your owners manual or a brand specific website for details on maintenance requirements for your motorcycle. I remember the days when motorcycles came with tool kits and decent owners manuals detailing and diagramming basic maintenance. These days it seems that all you get is a mileage schedule to take your bike into the dealership for a "$300 check this, check that, and an oil change".
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  5:30 PM
Pay close attention to the manual on lubrication points. With many if not most bikes, lubricating the cable is a bad idea. Cables are often Teflon coated and don't need lubrication. If the cable appears to have a plastic coating after an inch or two of bare cable end, do not lube it. Adding lube only attracts dust and makes the cable operation worse in short order. What is important is greasing the cable barrel ends and lever pivots. Oil won't last long in those areas and grease is really needed. Other places that need grease are swingarm, suspension, brake pedal and shift linkage pivots.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  8:45 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Just to clarify, my bike has hydraulic brakes and clutch, so no cables.

I did forget I have an aerosol can of lithium grease, that would have been easy to squirt into the tight spaces of the levers with a straw like the kind wd40 comes with.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  8:56 AM
You probably have throttle cables. They are low stress items though, unlike clutch and brake cables.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05