(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Add-ons / Customization
 Seats ???
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  11:39 AM                       Like
I am looking to upgrade my seat this winter and do some serious long distance in the spring. I have it narrowed down to a Rick Meyer or a Russell'sDay Long seat. My only holdback on the RDL is the "wings" ad these will interfere somewhat with hangoff in hard corners. Anyone with any experience with either or others???

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  1:21 PM
I have a Rick Mayer, on my R1200RT. Great seat and Rick spent a lot of time with me on the phone and in correspondence to make sure I got what I wanted.

It was not cheap and it took over two months from order/w deposit until I had it, but it is quality work and a great improvement over the stock seat.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  1:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Axiom2000

I have a Rick Mayer, on my R1200RT. Great seat and Rick spent a lot of time with me on the phone and in correspondence to make sure I got what I wanted.

It was not cheap and it took over two months from order/w deposit until I had it, but it is quality work and a great improvement over the stock seat.

Jerry

Thank you Sir! The solo seat for my bike including rear seat recover only is $321 for a R.M. The RDL is about the same. Price was what killed the Kontour seat as it was $675 for a solo seat.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  2:10 PM
I have a Russell coming tomorrow. I fully expect it to limit the butt to saddle range of motion but I'm getting it for cross country traveling. I'll be 68 next year and I'm no longer interested in leaving the address box, much less pushing the edge of the envelope. That being said, I've had wide saddles before and moving the body forward to the narrow part allows a decent range of movement and a better weight placement for maneuvering.
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  5:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by greywolf

I have a Russell coming tomorrow. I fully expect it to limit the butt to saddle range of motion but I'm getting it for cross country traveling. I'll be 68 next year and I'm no longer interested in leaving the address box, much less pushing the edge of the envelope. That being said, I've had wide saddles before and moving the body forward to the narrow part allows a decent range of movement and a better weight placement for maneuvering.

I will be anxious to hear a review on the Russell seat.

I am moving farther into the touring side of sport/tour every year. My plans for the spring start with an IBA saddle sore 1000 then a trip to the Florida Keys(1023 miles each way). I have never had an aftermarket seat on any bike. I do 400-600 mile days fairly easy right now but any more than that is sketchy.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  10:06 PM
quote:
I will be anxious to hear a review on the Russell seat.

And I am patiently waiting for a review on his 2012. Hint, hint.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  4:47 PM
I took the Russell for a short ride. Three things are apparent. One is it is really plush. The literature says it needs 500-1000 miles to break in but I don't think it will take long at all. Another thing is it is really tall. My 32" inseam is stretching things a bit with the bike lowered 3/4". Lastly, it is slippery. Maybe a break in is needed for that. The stock seat is very sticky so it may be a comparison thing.
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  7:21 PM
quote:

I took the Russell for a short ride. Three things are apparent. One is it is really plush. The literature says it needs 500-1000 miles to break in but I don't think it will take long at all. Another thing is it is really tall. My 32" inseam is stretching things a bit with the bike lowered 3/4". Lastly, it is slippery. Maybe a break in is needed for that. The stock seat is very sticky so it may be a comparison thing.

Couple questions for you, What is your initial opinion on quality? Which did you get? Vinyl or leather?
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  8:14 PM
Workmanship and materials are excellent. I got vinyl.
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  7:08 AM
quote:

Workmanship and materials are excellent. I got vinyl.

Thank you Sir!!
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  1:50 PM
Here's a picture of my new Russell seat.

Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  2:55 PM
Looks good for both rider and passenger. I was a bit disappointed in my last Corbin Touring seat (perf leather), their quality control and customer service seems to have slipped a bit in recent years. I do like their passenger back rests however.
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 09/29/2012 :  5:53 PM
quote:

Here's a picture of my new Russell seat.

Correct me of I am wrong but that is their half moon pattern?? I like it better than the squares or diamonds. Very nice looking seats!! I had almost talked myself out of the RDL but now......
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 09/29/2012 :  8:08 PM
It is the half moon pattern.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 09/30/2012 :  4:42 PM
I took a little 310 mile round trip for lunch today. I've never had such a comfortable seat before. If there is any problem, it's that I wasn't changing leg positions or shaking my knees out like I have needed to do in the past and my legs did not respond well when I finally needed to put my feet down. I have to remember to do some leg exercises when riding.
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  7:38 PM
Greywolf,

One last question for you. Did you get a re-cover on the rear seat or was it given any special treatment?? I promise not to bother you any more after this!
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  9:01 AM
The rear got some attention even though I ordered a solo treatment. A dual treatment would have dual saddles. Here's a pic with the stock seat.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.49 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05