(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Riding Impaired
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1470 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:34 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend    DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
How many riders here have been on a public road on two wheels while under the influence of any of these substances?

Some are legal, some are illegal...and some people have more sensitivity, depending on age, frequency of use, fatigue, hunger, thirst, and what other meds they're on. RHETORICAL Q: If you're a ride captain, how much of this information would you want to know?

Thanks for your response.

Results:
Prescription Medications   [32%] 28 votes 
Over the Counter Medications   [17%] 15 votes 
Alcohol (any amount)   [21%] 18 votes 
Marijuana   [11%] 10 votes 
Cocaine   [7%] 6 votes 
Crystal Meth   [3%] 3 votes 
Diet Drugs / No-Doze   [1%] 1 votes 
Steroids   [3%] 3 votes 
Never ridden under the influence of any of the above   [55%] 48 votes 
= Guests (32 ballots)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Ballots: 87 »»   Last Vote: 11/10/2005 3:53 PM 

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:46 PM
It's not my poll so I could be off base on you objective, but I would suggest that the poll be the type where you can select all the options that apply instead of just one. I also think that it should include a selection for none of the above to compare riders that never have ridden under the influence of any of the substances listed against those that have used any of the ones listed.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17381 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  11:10 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Correct. I have made those changes and corrected a coding bug that allowed a vote to be cast but failed to record who voted properly.

Sorry. Cash posted this poll while I was in the process of changing some code. My fault.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17381 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  1:41 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
My guess is that we're going to learn something about Diet Coke and No-Doze.

Come on Cash, satisfy us, please.
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1470 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  6:51 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Well, not Diet Coke (although it does have an effect on me!), but diet drugs generally are a kind of speed. Both are uppers for some folks, but diet drugs are especially likely to keep you wired.

Anything with a lot of caffeine in it, like most soda pops and especially the diet kinds, will make some of us jittery and over-reactive to stresses (even normal stresses) of riding. Others depend on it to keep them awake out there.

Thanks, Jim, for fixing the survey.

Cash

Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17381 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  7:28 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
That's what I get for staying up late and doing some programming - bleary eyed and quick to jump to conclusions.

[I can still tie my own shoes, however.]
Go to Top of Page

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  3:08 PM
Heya Cash-
Good poll, but you left out options: Caffiene in general (coffee, espresso, so-on) instead of just no-doze et. al....
ANd you left out heavier stuff (opiates like herion, for example)
I would have checked coffee.
^o^
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  3:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by River

...you left out options: Caffiene in general (coffee, espresso, so-on)
Huh?
Go to Top of Page

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  3:58 PM
...I know some folks who get very wired really quickly on coffee. Unsafe, and definately affects judgement.
Worked with one recently, so its fresh in my mind.
^o^
Go to Top of Page

bkikkert
Male Advanced Member
847 Posts
[Mentor]

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Classic '08

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  7:11 PM
quote:
know some folks who get very wired really quickly on coffee. Unsafe, and definately affects judgement.

Give me a break.....maybe riding after too much sex is dangerous too
Go to Top of Page

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  7:13 PM
OK, so maybe I know some freaks.... 'just calling it as I see it.
<shrugs>
^o^
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  8:35 AM
I'm guilty of riding while loaded up on coffee, Mountain Dew and Faygo Red Pop. Never knew how much of a rebel I was.
Go to Top of Page

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  11:06 AM

ok, okok... I give in! Uncle! Uncle!

^o^
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1470 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  1:05 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
River, stand your ground!

Or maybe that's an oxymoron? "Rivers flow..."

I'm one of those people who just cannot handle sudden, unplanned-for doses of caffeine. I've stayed on the Very Low Dosage side of that particular stimulant for probably 10 years or more, upon advice of my doctor, who said it was likely the source of my chronic cystitis. (Ladies will know what that is, and why you don't want it.)

Caffeine is a far stronger drug than most people realize, but for young people, it's not unmanageable. And if you're male and you drink coffee all the time, you only really need to worry about large doses, like No-Doze and so forth. Or about the contrary, which is suddenly being caffeine-deprived, which can make you sick. It's different for girls.

(Well, these are just my opinions, but I think they hold true for most lady riders "of a certain age" who are exposed to caffeine at all, and especially in their accustomed quantities. I had a 10-cup-a-day habit of the 'real thing' twenty years ago.)

I decided not to avoid ALL caffeine, because then when I got some inadvertantly (like in Twinkies!!! No, not really, I don't eat 'em, but my husband does, and I read all kinds of labels, and tons of things have caffeine in them where you wouldn't expect it), the result of an unexpected 'exposure' would be even worse, and I wouldn't know why I was trembling.

Jim can attest to the effects of this on me. I remember one Sunday on our way back from a spring ride, when we stopped at a red light quickly up on the frontage road for Highway 290 (not a panic, just a fast light). He looked over at me and saw that I was shaking, trying to hold up the bike. I mean, actually having trouble holding it up at a normal red light on a normal frontage road intersection.

And, BTW, frontage road intersections on our highways are the location of the most fatality red-light running accidents in Houston. But no worries...

He radio'd me on the C.B. that he didn't understand why I was so rattled by a mere fast stop, and while I know he was concerned, I certainly caught the flavor of criticism there! Well, caffeine can make you testy. In fact, it was an oddity to him for me to be so upset, and I expect he was surprised at what was seemingly a beginner's (over)reaction.

So of course I got royally pissed off, because it had nothing to do with my fast stop capabilities (really), and because he had no idea how badly affected I had been by some waitress's serving me the wrong kind of coffee at our last stop. *Nor did I.* It was only in retrospect that I figured it out.

At any rate, I did manage to get the bike home (and without harsh words probably, but no guarantees ). However, we're still buddies.

But on those occasions when I get an overdose of caffeine, it means I can get into trouble out there very quickly, especially if it's been a while since we ate anything solid that could help soak it up. (Hence "live to ride, ride to eat"?)

I will, however, admit that on the ride from Houston to Wilmington, North Carolina, we had a very hot day in Georgia as we were going to a June wedding. We stopped for gas at a place that sold ice cream cones... and soft drinks.

It was that lazy time of the afternoon when you just want to find a tree and take a nap against the trunk... but after I glommed down a cold, double-dipped SUGARY ice cream cone (YUM!!!! - and again a major stimulant if you don't eat carbs very much), and then decided to DRINK A REGULAR COCA COLA before we took off, we were flying along on the freeway, passing every 18-wheeler in sight before that buzz wore off. Made really GOOD time that day.

Fortunately we also encountered nothing weird on that leg of the ride.

But it's an unusual circumstance when I load up on carbs and caffeine and then try to ride my Magna. Your mileage may vary, as to both.

Cash
Go to Top of Page

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  1:28 PM
Thanks for the support Cash!
We'll have to get together for a cup o' joe sometime... decaf, perhaps

^o^
Go to Top of Page

timbo
Advanced Member
594 Posts

Uxbridge
United Kingdom

BMW

R1100S

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  3:58 PM
Just curious.

Here in the UK the legal limit for driving & Alcohol is 80mg/100ml, which equates to about 2 Imperial Pints (20fl oz) of normal strength beer (4%) for an average size bloke (me 85kg)

I checked the Alcohol (any amount) box because I have frequently ridden having had a Pint, but never having ridden when "over the limit" so I have always been totally legal.

What is the legal status in the US, and how is it tested, and whats the penalties?

Over here we have the dreaded "breathaliser" where if the police suspect that you are over the limit they can pull you in and test you. If you fail it's a 1 year total ban.

The limits in the rest of Europe tend to be lower, but the peanlties are also lower - in France you have to be pretty well incapable of walking, let alone driving before the punishment becomes serious.

I'd be really interest to find the score over there. e.g. Does it vary state to state, what are the chances of getting pulled etc. etc.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  5:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cash Anthony

Your mileage may vary, as to both.
I can drink a cup of coffee and then go to sleep. I've wished a cup of coffee could wake me up. If I get sleepy the only cure is sleep.
Go to Top of Page

DoubleDip
262 Posts

Erlanger, Kentucky
USA

Yamaha

650 V-Star Silverado

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  5:30 PM
Hey Tim,
In Kentucky if you are under 21 (legal age to drink) the limit is .02 reading on a Intoxilyzer. If you are of legal age it is .08. The units that attach to these numbers are either grams of alcohol per 100 milliters of blood or grams of alcohol per 210 liters of breath. Generally speaking if you are stopped and the officer suspects you to be under the influence he can develope probable cause for the arrest by administering a variety of physical tests that measure you devided attention ability, balance, and cordination and make a decision based upon what he observes. He will also observe for physical attributes that intoxicated persons display, i.e. bloodshot eyes, odor of metabolized alcohol, poor balance. In Kentucky the penalties are progressively severe for first, second, third, etc. offenses. Other states have slight differences in their specific laws but in broad general terms they aren't too different to my knowledge.

Hope this helps.
Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Empressa
47 Posts

Markham, Ontario
Canada

Kawasaki

250 Ninja

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  12:07 PM
This was interesting to me. I checked off perscription, OTC and Steroids but technically the steroid was a perscription....

I have a minor case of asthma so when I have a cough or cold I use the steroid inhaler to help prevent asthma attacks. Also during really hot/humid days I need a puff or two. And being the summer I take OTC allergy pills. The last thing I need is a big sneeze in my full face helmet and I ride visor down 99% of the time! And in general, I've had to take regular perscriptions cuz I'm just a sickly thing :)

But if my allergies are minor or my asthma isn't very bad, to have either my anti-histimane or my puffer for a single dose, it can definitely stimulate and increase my heart rate. But I also sit down and take a rest off to the side when I feel that happen...

Aside from those, which I personally don't count, I would say that I've never been on a ride under the influence.

BTW smoking/nicotine is also a stimulant... But that would fall under the "other" category I guess/

Cheers,
Julia
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  12:26 PM
Wow, I guess my normal combination of black tar heroin, thai stick, methamphetamine and coffee with a double shot of espresso wouldn't make me fit to ride?
I never made the connection...(firmly planted in cheek!)

By the way, some of us boys know what chronic cystitis is, too...
Go to Top of Page

travismhood
64 Posts

american canyon, ca
USA

Yamaha

xs750 sf

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  11:50 PM
Is there no one pretending to be safer than they really are? Not proud of it, but I've ridden under the influence of (Fill in the blank) and at times; could have sworn, too screwed up to walk straight, that I'd unleashed skills that had been dormant before. and still do believe that I am capable of some things now that I would have never tried sober for the first time. Here in lies the proof that you should just say no. You get cocky, paranoid, sucky, and learn to do things that you should not be doing in the first place. learning from mistakes that I've not made yet, I'll take a six hour walk if I encounter "accedental impairment."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05