(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Safety Gear You Wear
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  7:22 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
What safety gear do you always wear? Select all that apply.

Results:
Helmet   [93%] 114 votes 
Motorcycle Gloves   [79%] 96 votes 
Leather Jacket   [25%] 30 votes 
Textile Jacket   [39%] 48 votes 
Leather Pants   [7%] 8 votes 
Textile Pants (not just jeans)   [13%] 16 votes 
Motorcycle Boots   [72%] 88 votes 
Additional Body Armour (beyond what's in pants/jacket)   [2%] 3 votes 
Back Protector (not built in to jacket)   [6%] 7 votes 
Chaps   [10%] 12 votes 
Ear Protection   [26%] 32 votes 
Other   [10%] 12 votes 
None of the above   [5%] 6 votes 
= Guests (70 ballots)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Ballots: 122 »»   Last Vote: 10/05/2005 11:06 AM 

Edited by - kiddal on 10/05/2005 7:51 PM

Jerry Godell
Male Senior Member
441 Posts

Kansas City, kansas
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXD SuperGlide

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  11:04 PM
No 1, Helmets will be misleading. They are required in some states and countries!

The rest are good statistics.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17381 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  11:51 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Jerry,

For the life of me I cannot understand why you wish to make an issue of anything statistics oriented.

The validity of the question and the validity of the answers is NOT an issue. Either our members tell the truth or not. Nothing 'statistical' about it.

I gather what you meant here was that if someone where to draw a conclusion from the poll results here about how voluntary was the decision to wear helmets, they would be hard pressed to do that without more information. Has anybody said what 'statistics' or conclusions were going to be derived from these polls?

I assume you recognize that it is the analysis of statistical information that requires a complete understanding of the poll purposes, voting population, precise question wording and maybe even about otherwise unrelated world events before one can presume that conclusions drawn from that analysis have 'validity.'

Ease off, please. There is nothing 'misleading' about the FACT that 92% of those who voted (73 out of 79 as of the time of this message) claimed to always wear helmets. That's ALL that the poll results show. No interpretation or conclusions are being made of these results. Raw numbers are NOT misleading. Slanted interpretations, sometimes called 'spin', is where your disdain should be focused.
Go to Top of Page

subvetSSN606
418 Posts
[Mentor]

Ellettsville, IN
USA

Suzuki

800 Intruder

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  1:01 AM
With all due respect James...

I think statistics do have a place in analyzing events.
But...
Polls here are by definition "unscientific." They are not a random sampling. They are a sampling of the opinions of those that have come here. Those that have come here have a bias towards safety.

That said, you have never represented them to be anything other than what they are.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  10:09 PM
It would be interesting to know what some of the "Other" items are.

It looks like there is little difference between members and guests.

Edited by - kiddal on 08/21/2005 10:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  10:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kiddal

It would be interesting to know what some of the "Other" items are.

It looks like there is little difference between members and guests.

My "other" was goggles, since I don't wear a full-face helmet and it wasn't on the choice list..
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1595 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  11:16 AM
Responding to this poll, my "Other" would be sturdy shoes - not always boots, but NEVER sandals or flip-flops.

James, maybe you should post (or direct us to, if you've already posted) something about your intent in including polls on the site.

I read them, and find them interesting. It's kind of fun to see where I stack up in this group. But if I was trying to draw conclusions about motorcyclists, I don't think the polls would be a good source because those polled are such a select (ahem) group. I'm actually a little surprised that anybody in this group ever rides without a helmet.

Go to Top of Page

4432bravo
Male Junior Member
31 Posts

Spring, Texas
USA

Honda

GL1100A

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  6:08 PM
Since I voted on the Safety Gear You Wear, I have added leather chaps, and leather jacket to my riding clothes.

Jerry Seay
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  6:19 AM
Good Deal Jerry,

I need to do the same myself. I need to get some chaps and a better leather jacket than I currently own. It's good that your getting more safety conscious (sp?)

Take care.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05