(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3446 positive of 3828 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Electrical Issue With Starter
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

abbeylives
Male New Member
16 Posts

Dexter, MI
USA

Honda

84 vf500 magna

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  12:28 PM                       Like
I was cranking the starter attempting to get the engine to fire. However, I would occasionally take my thumb off the start button. Pressing the button again, all I would hear would be an electric 'clicking.' I would simply release the button and press again, and the starter would begin to turn over again.

Another time, as I removed my thumb from the start button, the starter continued to turn over, even when the motorcycle was in the off position and the key removed.

Does anyone have any thoughts about where the problem might be occurring?

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6883 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  1:26 PM
Your starter has a relay, sometimes called a solenoid, that converts from the small amount of current that can go through a starter switch, to the large amount of current needed to run a starter motor. I would look into replacing it.

I don't know where it might be on a Honda, but on Ducati motorcycles it's a part that usually needs to be replaced after about ten years. And the best one to use is from Yamaha in that particular case.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05