(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3446 positive of 3828 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Aging and Disabilities
 A birthday story
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  3:38 PM                       Like
So today is my birthday, I am 67 and indeed feel very lucky to able to celebrate the occasion.

This past Monday I was scheduled to play some golf with a group of guys I normally play with, at a course not too far from home but located in a different town. It looked like rain and was spitting when I left the house, but unless it really rains, we usually play. It looked bad when we all met in the parking lot but we decided to give 9 holes a try. It never really rained on us, and we were putting out on the 9th green in under two hours. Two of the foursome decided to continue on, but me and another fellow wanted to call it quits.

While walking back to the car I began to feel poorly. By the time I got my clubs loaded I was hurting, I was sweating up a storm, had some chest pains, and felt sick to my stomach. I knew I would have to drive past a hospital very close by on my way home and decided to go on, and if I was still feeling bad I would stop in the emergency room. This decision saved my life. By the time I got to the hospital, I knew something was bad wrong. I parked in the emergency room parking lot and just made it to the door before I was damn near out of it. I remember walking in telling the receptionist I had severe chest pains, magic words I suppose, because in no time at all I was on a table with leads and IV's everywhere. They were pumping me with all kinds of medicines and giving me pills to boot. They ran about 4 EKG's on me and finally a Cardiologist showed up and began to ask me questions and look at the results. He believed I had had or was having a heart attack but could not be sure until the lab work on the blood was completed. He stated it takes a while for the blood work to actually reveal a heart attack.

Anyway, they got me stabilized, and I was told I was being transferred to Cardiac Intensive Care to wait for results. On the way there I got some more tests and scans done, and to tell the truth, by then I was feeling OK. Really, all the pain killers and meds were working, I suppose. Anyway, I was not in the ICU for an hour when the Dr. came in and said, "Well, for sure you have had a heart attack and we are not sure you are out of the woods yet, so there is an ambulance waiting outside to take you to another hospital where there is a team standing by to perform a Cardiac Catheterization procedure." Just like that, and within a few minutes I was strapped down in an ambulance, lights and sirens blazing, and moving up the road at a very fast pace. It was a scary ride, let me tell you.

AS soon as I got there, they wheeled me into what they called a Cath Lab and were working on me right away. I did not feel a thing, but what seemed like an hour later, the Dr. said I was fine. I had had an artery with 99% blockage and they had inserted a stent. I spent two days in the hospital and got home today June 5, my birthday, and I feel darn lucky to have made it.

Anyway, when the Doctor came in this morning to let me know I was heading home today, he said that many folks would most likely give you a hard time for driving yourself to the hospital, but he stated under the circumstances--if I had called 911 and waited for an ambulance--more than likely I would have died right there in my car waiting. Scary thought. Anyway, because I moved quick and got professional help within minutes, they think I am going to be in very good shape going forward.

So Happy Birthday to me, and the message here for all of you is if you begin to feel pain and pressure in your chest, don't wait for it to pass. Get some help as quick as you can.

Thanks all--I am glad to still be here and posting.

Jerry

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  3:53 PM
Been there done that, 25 years ago, in Saudi Arabia. Sounds like you got a bit more advanced care than I did. Welcome "back" and Happy birthday. Think of your "new" life as a gift from on high and take it easy for a few days.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  3:57 PM
I'm glad and grateful that you are here and that I can wish you a Happy Birthday.

Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  4:14 PM
Best in your recovery Jerry. Glad you had clubs to carry in your trunk and weren't on your bike.
Go to Top of Page

Tburd
Male Senior Member
476 Posts

Waukesha, WI
USA

Suzuki

Boulevard S50

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  5:26 PM
Good luck Jerry on a speedy and full recovery. And Happy Birthday too.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  5:33 PM
I just hit 68 and am complaining about my knees. You win. Just stop trying to outdo me. Be well.
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  5:33 PM
Happy birthday, Sir, and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17286 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  5:42 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
You must be in pretty good shape already to be posting here so soon after that event. Glad you are still with us, friend.

So, curiosity has me... what would you (or could you) do if you were riding a motorcycle instead of driving a car?
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  6:35 PM
quote:
So, curiosity has me... what would you (or could you) do if you were riding a motorcycle instead of driving a car?

Good question and one I had never considered. I guess I would have gotten the other fellow who left with me to drive me to the hospital. He was pulling out the same time as I. Sounds like an easy answer and short of that, I just don't know. I do know I was in no shape to ride a motorcycle, even the three mile trip it was. I would have never made it.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  6:45 PM
quote:
You must be in pretty good shape already to be posting here so soon after that event.

It is amazing what they can do today, and I really feel good considering what I have been through. Now that the blood flow has been restored to the heart, and if the damage is in fact not too bad, I should feel and be OK. I am tired--I did not get a lot of sleep. Each and every four hours for two days straight a nurse would come in, draw blood, take my blood pressure, every 6 hours they would do a EKG, so it feels good just to be home and not being stuck with needles all the time. I was very impressed with the level of care I was given at every step throughout this entire ordeal. Medical care is stupid expensive, but you know when you need it, you need the best there is right now. I have lots of follow-up appointments with all kinds of Docs starting early next week. And I have such a supply of pills that I swear I could open my own pharmacy.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  10:38 PM
In hindsight, were there any clues to your condition in the months preceding?

Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  1:59 AM
quote:
In hindsight, were there any clues to your condition in the months preceding?

Nothing specific. I had been to my family doctor and other doctors just over a month ago concerning my Arthritis. All of them had ordered blood work, X-Rays listened to my heart and given me a cursory physical exam.

I had not felt anything specific going on that set off any alarms, I did have some stomach discomfort Sunday evening and although it passed rather quickly it was a different type of pain than I ever remember having.

Here is a good one for everyone to know, One of the Doctors said everyone experiences Angina that is leading to a heart attack in different ways, mine was in the upper stomach, lower chest area. initially leading them to believe I had a blockage in my Aorta. But he advised me to remember what and where that pain was and called it "your Angina" and if ever felt again ( like I will ever forget that) I would know what to do.

I have friends around my age close and casual, who tend to be, let's call them manly men. Who give no real thought to their weight or general physical condition. Although I try to be aware and avoid the things that are not good for you , heck I am far from a poster child of good health habits. But I was lucky I had my wake up call and it was a rude one. If any of you are of a certain age or have a family history of issues, get checked out, no one and I mean no one wants to experience this. The doctor referred to the artery that was blocked as the "Widow Maker" I now see why.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  6:51 AM
quote:
...who tend to be, let's call them manly men...
I have, in the past, given this some thought. I think boys are conditioned to "play through the pain". You discover (as a kid) that pain goes away, and that while you are waiting for it to go away it can be ignored.

IMO, your sharing of your experience (and a similar post by another forum member, in a different thread) may save lives.

Go to Top of Page

D R
Advanced Member
1053 Posts
[Mentor]

Northern, Virginia
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  9:07 AM
Glad you're still with us. Heal quickly, heal well.

Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  9:38 AM Follow poster on Twitter
Happy Birthday and glad you're still with us...I assume they took you to PRMC in Salisbury? That's a great hospital, they saved my Dad a couple of times before he became too weak to keep on. Saved me once or twice as well. (I grew up just outside of Seaford)

Now...speaking as an EMT...you should have had your friend drive you to the hospital instead of risking it on your own, if things had gone from bad to worse who knows what could have happened.

Now...back to the biker Me, glad you're on the road to recovery and healing well. Just take it easy for a few weeks to allow the stent insertion site to heal. (I had a stent put in my vertebral artery, just above my left ear, last March as the result of 2 mild strokes) It took me a good 2 weeks before I was able to walk without a slight limp due to the pain in my hip. The good news is, I rode my Magna to the follow-up with the neurologist 4 weeks after surgery.
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  10:11 AM
Must be a thing with birthdays.

Almost a year ago (my Birthday is Saturday) I spent MY birthday with a Cardiologist. It took them a month of outpatient tests to get me in the Cath Lab for a "precautionary diagnostic" cardiac cahteterization that revealed a 98% occlusion and resulted in a stent. And I was just 52 (but have had Type I diabetes for 20+ years).

I hope this years Birthday is better! I am supposed to coach a BRC range I!

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY Axiom2000!
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  10:19 AM
As a follow up to Magnawing's post.

My wife was an OR nurse back in the day. Isn't it odd that the first hospital you went to had a CCU but not a cath lab? Or did they 2nd hospital have open heart capabilities as well and they wanted to be safe?

Also, did they do the cath insertion in your groin or wrist? I had mine in the wrist. The doctor said it is harder for him to do the procedure, but much faster healing for the patient. I went home the next day but they said it would have been two if they had to use the groin arteries. And there is an over 75% rate of bleeding issues overnight following the groin process. He said before he went for training on the wrist procedure he got at least two wake up calls a night for bleeding patients following the groin cath insertion.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  12:27 PM
quote:
As a follow up to Magnawing's post.

My wife was an OR nurse back in the day. Isn't it odd that the first hospital you went to had a CCU but not a cath lab? Or did they 2nd hospital have open heart capabilities as well and they wanted to be safe?

Also, did they do the cath insertion in your groin or wrist? I had mine in the wrist. The doctor said it is harder for him to do the procedure, but much faster healing for the patient. I went home the next day but they said it would have been two if they had to use the groin arteries. And there is an over 75% rate of bleeding issues overnight following the groin process. He said before he went for training on the wrist procedure he got at least two wake up calls a night for bleeding patients following the groin cath insertion.

You know that is strange about the ICU and no Cath lab, I don't know the answer to that one. I had the procedure done through the groin and it has been 3 days now with no issues. They used some kind of new closure device which will eventually just dissolve I think this has eliminated many of the problems in going through the groin.

quote:
Happy Birthday and glad you're still with us...I assume they took you to PRMC in Salisbury? That's a great hospital, they saved my Dad a couple of times before he became too weak to keep on. Saved me once or twice as well. (I grew up just outside of Seaford)

Nope I was playing golf in Milford and stopped at Milford Memorial, and they transported me to Kent General in Dover. Of course now these two are consolidated and considered Bay Health. I think the only two hospitals with a Cath Lab in lower DE are Dover and Beebee in Lewes. I need to spend some time in researching the nearby hospitals to actually know what is available where. Thanks for that I believe it is important I know.
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1467 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  3:34 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
What a scary experience, Jerry! Glad you made the right choice for you at the right time.

You'll be calling this 'the year I had TWO birthdays!' a decade or so from now.

Wishing you many more...

Cash
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  2:10 AM
As a follow up, it has been two weeks now since my cardiac event, just love that expression. Anyway yesterday some dear friends and the guys I played with on that day decided it was time I played again.

It really felt good to get out and be on a golf course again. I am a serious golfer playing or practicing the game often and previous to this issue I could play to a 5 handicap. What a rude awaking a heart attack is to ones golf game. I did OK for 5 or 6 holes and then began to tire, my legs went first and if you are a golfer you know how important your legs are in hitting good shots. The long and short of it is, my short game saved me somewhat and I was able to break 100 and am claiming victory.

No complaints, it's funny how your outlook on things change after coming so close to death. I hit some shots that, three weeks ago would have had me spitting and cussing but I just laughed at them sailing through the air bound for the deep woods.

I go to the Cardiologist today for my first visit and I suspect he will tell me how much damage I suffered and what to expect in the future. No matter what, I am still here alive up and able to do the things I enjoy.

I realized many things about life and how trivial some of the stuff that is important to us really are. My way of saying to all of you, slow down and enjoy what ever you do. Now, it is time for me to hit the range again and learn how to play the damn game all over again.
My goal is to be shooting in the 70's before the first snowfall. But you know the good thing is If I don't I don't really care, I am going to just enjoy the journey.

Thanks to all of my motorcycle friends on here for your kinds words and support, it means a lot.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  6:12 AM
Jerry:

Do they have you in cardiac rehab?

I went after my stent placement for about 6 weeks. My cardiologist told me to "give it a try". They had me on a wireless EKG while I went through about an hour of exercises each session. They were very conservative in the level of exertion they wanted to see, so after a follow up with my cardiologist, where he basically said there was no issue with me pushing things to whatever level of workout I felt comfortable with, I bailed on the rehab and went back to a more vigorous workout routine. If, however, you were not doing cardio workout before it would be a good idea to see if that is an option.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05