(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Presentation from Washington DOL on Motorcycle crash statstics
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

tmonroe
Male Advanced Member
752 Posts
[Mentor]

Seattle, WA
USA

Kawasaki

ZX-10R

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  12:23 PM                       Like
I was forwarded some information from the Washington DOL and encouraged to share it, so here goes:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicens...es6-2013.pdf

I think there is a lot of good information here.

DataDan
Advanced Member
585 Posts
[Mentor]

Central Coast, CA
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  10:40 AM
Very interesting data, some of which I haven't seen compiled before.

The unique climate of Washington permits a measure of motorcycling exposure--dry days per month--that helps understand variations both within a year and between years.

60% of newly endorsed riders are trained. But among endorsed riders killed, only 41% were trained. This suggests a significant benefit of training. However, the percentage of trained riders among all endorsees (not just the noobs) isn't reported, so the question is open.

As Hurt and MAIDS both found, experience is a highly significant factor in reducing crash risk. Comparing experience (presumably via years endorsed) for riders in fatal crashes vs. all Washington endorsees in 2012, riders with < 3 years experience were overrepresented by a factor of 2. Riders with more experience were approximately equally underrepresented--i.e., the 3-5 year group was about the same as the 21-year+ group. However, this was only one year of data. It would be nice to see a 5- or 10-year compilation.

The "years endorsed" chart (p15) sheds light on the question: How long do riders stick with motorcycling? 44% of endorsees have 0-5 years experience (again, presumably years endorsed), 25% have 6-10 years, 8% have 11-15 years, 6% have 16-20 years, and 16% have 21+ years. There is a substantial self-driven "weeding out". This may help to explain the benefit of experience mentioned above: More experienced riders may be less likely to crash in part because they have demonstrated to their own satisfaction an aptitude for motorcycling.

A positive development in Washington seen in the data I have collected, but not reported in the document, is the falling rate of fatalities per 100,000 registered motorcycles. According to US DOT data, the rate in Washington has fallen by 25% over the past 10 years
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 1.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05