(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Off Theme
 The Get Your Motor Running Chat Forum
 Blood Pressure and riding
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  11:51 AM                       Like
Another topic sent my mind drift into overdrive. One thought that came to mind was the effect, if any, that riding has on BP. I know that I find riding to be soothing. If I am having a rough day and I go for a ride, the ride pushes everything else out of my mind. While I am riding my mind is occupied with the ride and the ride alone. Scanning, shifting, braking, bends, starting on a hill etc. require my full attention. When I return home I feel more relaxed or, if you will, less stressed. I can't help but wonder now if there is a measureable physiological change in BP. I hope that over the next several rides I can document the change or lack of change.

My current plan is to take my BP before and after a ride to see if there is a measureable change. I don't have much control over when stressful events come up but since there is no particular time limit I assume that life will let me find a range of experiences that can plot a trend. There are of course stressful rides so who knows if there will be times when the BP goes up (cross the GW bridge on 95 surrounded by 18 wheelers who may not notice you in stop and go traffic, LOL).

I'm hoping some others can do the same.

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  2:53 PM
Makes me wonder. I for the most part tend to have a better "attitude" after a ride. Some times my wife will get me out of the house for an attitude adjustment by saying why don' you take the bike up to the store to get.... Some rides are more fun/relaxing than others. I do not have a home blood pressure machine to measure the effect. Does the attitude transfer over to a lower bp reading?

As an aside - If the 18 wheelers kinda freak you out on the GW. I seemed to remember that they were not allowed on the lower level. A quick internet search turned up - http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunne...ictions.html
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  7:05 PM
quote:
I seemed to remember that they were not allowed on the lower level.
Your memory serves you well.

I just don't like riding the lower level. Usually it is the approach to the bridge, from the NY side, that is the really tough part. They have been doing construction on it forever so there is no time of night or day when you won't find yourself in bumper to bumper traffic. Once you are on the bridge itself it opens up and it is just a great ride if you are on the upper level. The Tappan Zee is almost as much fun but there you feel as if you are riding on the water where as on the GW it feels like you're flying.

I have a portable wrist type BP device. I did not ride today and it reads 65/122 with a resting heart rate of 72 (average of 3 readings with fluctuations of +- 3 on the BP but constant on the heart rate). I can't see where it would have had much room to drop so there may be a flaw in my logic. Oh well, I won't know until I've tried it a few times during stress. Last Saturday would have been the perfect day.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  7:10 PM
I'm sure some of things I've been doing lately on rides have sent my blood pressure up - or at least my heart rate. I visited another one of those fire lookout points today way up in the Sierras. I went with another KTM rider and we had to park about 0.4 mile from the top, where the locked gate was at. Hiking up a hill at 6600 feet altitude appears to cause some stress.

Hiking up a steeper hill at 8600 feet definitely gets me breathing hard and the heart pumping (last month at Sierra Buttes).

Moving a stuck bike around in the dirt to get going again does even more than just hiking. Today, after hiking to the top and back, I thought I could just start moving uphill to turn around. Instead my back wheel went straight down while digging a nice hole. So I had to lift the back half of a nearly 500 pound bike back out of the hole and back it around until it was pointing nearly downhill before I could ride it away. But I was way too far from a blood pressure machine to find out what the reading might be.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  7:48 PM
Scott, I'll bet anything your BP at the end of the ride was lower, LOL. I sense no frustration in your post. I sense a touch of satisfaction in overcoming those obstacles. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I get the feeling that once the smoke cleared you had really enjoyed yourself.

Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  8:36 PM
Who knows what it means when heart rate goes up to a rate of about 170 or so and both diastolic and systolic blood pressure readings are dropping.
Or,
A person is feeling numbness in their face and has their diastolic and systolic blood pressure readings taken at about 5 minute intervals are widening (widening pulse pressures).
Or,
What is the likely problem when (a person in the ambulance) has been in a motorcycle crash and the readings of diastolic and systolic blood pressure are narrowing (narrowing pulse pressures).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05