(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Do you CHOOSE to wear a helmet?
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  10:33 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
This poll is only for people who live where a helmet is optional.

What type of helmet do you wear, if any?

Results:
Shorty or Beanie   [10%] 13 votes 
3/4 with face shield   [12%] 15 votes 
3/4 open face   [14%] 18 votes 
Flip-up (full-face)   [20%] 25 votes 
Full-face (traditional)   [38%] 49 votes 
No helmet   [6%] 8 votes 
= Guests (92 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 128 counted  »»   Last Vote: 10/04/2005 7:04 PM 

Edited by - kiddal on 10/05/2005 7:53 PM

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  8:42 AM
In Texas a helmet is not exactly or completely optional. If you want to ride without a helmet, you have to provide proof of medical insurance with at least $10,000 in benefits or have taken the MSF training course and have obtained the required exemtion permit. For purposes of the poll, I considered Texas as a helmet optional state.
Go to Top of Page

vneal
40 Posts

houston, tx
USA

Honda

2005 GOLDWING

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  7:47 AM
A riders observation is that in Texas 80% of people with cruisers wear no helmet. I guess they are really tough men(NOT) And 99% of sport bike riders wear helmets(they drive too fast as a general statement but usually wear protective helmets,boots and jackets)and the touring folks where 80% wear helmets. I have been in all three groups. I consider myself a tourer. Simply put, I would not be caught dead without a helmet. All motorcycle deaths are sad and unneeded, but sometimes when a person choses to blast down the road with no helmet , no boots, or protective clothing it is harder to feel sorry for them. I don't feel it is a choice, I am all for freedoms and rights sometimes we need to require that riders wear helmets as a national law. WE have the national seat belt law.I may have an unpopular opinion, I don't care I know 20 people who have died without helmets. HELMETS SAVE LIVES

Edited by - vneal on 08/23/2005 7:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  9:31 AM
I have not been deeply involved in the helmet law debate over the years so this is just my observation as I see it now. Motorcycle helmet laws are to motorcycle safety as seat belt laws are to automobile safety. Depending on whether you are trying to argue for or against their safety benefits, you can probably find valid examples to support your argument. Statistically I think that there are more safety benefits to wearing a helmet than not.

The argument that not wearing a helmet is a victimless crime is not valid. There are very few people that do not have any friends or relatives that would be impacted if you were more seriously injured if you were not wearing a helmet in a motorcycle accident. There is also the issue of the associated medical costs of a motorcycle accident and the difference in the amount of those costs depending on whether you were wearing a helmet or not. If you do not have adequate financial means to pay for the medical bills out of your own pocket, everyone else will be sharing those costs through higher insurance premiums and higher medical costs

So, if you don’t want to wear a helmet, tell all you friends and relatives to get lost and save up you money to cover all the medical bills. Brain surgery and nursing home care is not cheap. Have your affairs in order, your funeral pre-planned and enough money to pay off all of you debts. If you don’t want to wear a helmet when you ride, don’t make that decision become a burden on the rest of us that wear them.
Go to Top of Page

gary
Standard Member
143 Posts

Kingston, New York
USA

Honda

1100 Shadow '99

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  10:12 AM
Don, how right you are. My wife is head of a brain trauma center in NY. 90% of the people that is in her center doesn't have any form of insurance other than S.S. (we know who pays that huh?) When they say it's thier right not to ware a helemt they are also saying if they get brain damaged let the tax payers take care of them.
Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  12:11 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
No matter how much I read about arguments brought up to the contrary of the importance of wearing a helmet, I still cannot understand the logic behind people saying that they have a RIGHT not to wear a helmet.

Go to Top of Page

subvetSSN606
418 Posts
[Mentor]

Ellettsville, IN
USA

Suzuki

800 Intruder

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  1:55 AM
I'm contrary I guess. I'm in a helmet optional state and always wear a full-face helmet.

However I do oppose helmet laws. The problem I have is where do you draw the line? Every argument that can be made to make helmet use mandatory could be used with equal validity in arguing for making motorcycles illegal. For example... There's a huge segment of the population at large that thinks we're all nuts for going out there on our "donor-cycles." Motorcycles aren't necessary, there's other, safer ways to get from point A to point B!
Whether you wear a helmet or not, there's little doubt that you are more likely to be seriously injured, and thus become one of those "burdens on society," if you're in an accident on a motorcycle as opposed to in a car. So why should society have to foot the bill for all those idiot motorcycle riders?

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Jerry Godell
Male Senior Member
441 Posts

Kansas City, kansas
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXD SuperGlide

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  10:23 AM
Article in todays Kansas City Star quotes a local police source stating that 88% of auto fatalities in KC were not wearing seat belts. Kansas is a helmet optional state. 88% is about the number that don't wear helmets. I wonder if the helmetless ones are the ones that don't wear seat belts. Seat belts are not optional.
Go to Top of Page

jimvw57
21 Posts

Red Wing, MN
USA

Peer Review: -1

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  10:50 AM
helmet laws are to protect the idiots that can't make the right choice. I look at it as cleaning up the gene pool.

I don't always wear a helmet for short runs to the store but if I am traveling above 30 MPH, I got the brain bucket on.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  12:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by subvetSSN606

Every argument that can be made to make helmet use mandatory could be used with equal validity in arguing for making motorcycles illegal.

The state legislature has every right to regulate what vehicles are allowed to travel its roads and what equipment is required. This is and will be true regardless of whether there are mandatory helmet laws or not. There is no fundamental "right" to ride a motorcycle or any other vehicle on a public road.

The "slippery slope" argument is way over used. It really has little credence to me and is mainly used when the argument for a particular cause is weak. There are already laws requiring seat belt usage in most states and on all airlines, child seat laws, air bag laws, etc.

I'm pretty neutral on helmet laws. On one hand I generally favor choice but on the other hand it is totally within the rights and responsibility of the states to regulate vehicles and safety equipment. Since I wear a helmet, it has no impact on me and it is clearly not a "rights" ssue, so I don't really care.

It's undeniable that mandatory helmet laws save lives. Whether that's because helmets are safer or less miles are ridden (or both) is debatable. If I were a state representative, I'm not sure it would really matter why and that may be enough to convince me to favor mandatory helmet laws. (Don't worry Hoosiers, I have no plans to run )

As part of that USA Today story where I got the fatality statistics , it mentioned $3 million has been allocated for a new motorcycle safety study. I don't know how long that will take, but I would predict some sort of federal incintive for states to mandate helmet usage. I think the number of mandatory helmet states will increase over the next several years.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  12:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jimvw57

helmet laws are to protect the idiots that can't make the right choice. I look at it as cleaning up the gene pool.

I don't always wear a helmet...

That's a very harsh self-assesment.
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  1:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kiddal

quote:

I don't always wear a helmet...

That's a very harsh self-assesment.

Yeah, because it's common knowledge that if you smack your head on the street at 29 MPH or less, it's safe...
Darwin lives...
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1595 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  4:50 PM
If you live in an apartment building, or work in a big office building, in all likelihood there is a boiler somewhere on the premises. That boiler is tended by someone who must have a low-pressure boiler operators license (it may be called something else in your state). The license holder has demonstrated that he or she meets certain competency standards, and is willing to abide by state-mandated operating codes - including equipment standards. Is the operator free to choose which codes he or she follows? No. He or she has a LICENSE, not a right. The license is issued by the state, which (hopefully) acts in the best interest of all residents.

If I operate a motorcycle legally, I've demonstrated a certain level of competence, and agreed to abide by laws governing motorcycle operation. I don't have a RIGHT to have green turn signals, loud pipes, or to ride without shoes. I have a license. If I don't like the license requirements, I won't ride in places where a license is required. Whether helmets save lives or not is a moot point. When my state passes a law, I have to obey it. (Which is not to say that I can't work to change it.)

And let's not start on the Nazi stuff. I'm not talking about blindly following laws that are clearly hurtful to others.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17381 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  5:06 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:

helmet laws are to protect the idiots that can't make the right choice.

'Idiots' is such a harsh word.

There are some people in the world of motorcycling who cannot recognize that helmet laws are civil rights issues while the wearing of a helmet or not is a safety issue. Those might be called idiots.
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1595 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  11:33 PM
JRD,would you please elaborate on your last post? I'm not sure I follow what you mean about helmets vis-a-vis civil liberty issues.
Go to Top of Page

subvetSSN606
418 Posts
[Mentor]

Ellettsville, IN
USA

Suzuki

800 Intruder

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  1:05 AM
I'm not JRD and don't speak for him...

But just guessing...
Whether the powers that be should mandate that you have to wear a helmet is a civil rights issue.

Whether you choose to wear a helmet or not is a safety issue.

It's the problem with this ever recurring debate. They really are two different issues that often get tangled up with each other.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17381 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  3:58 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I have changed the polling system today so that poll results may be looked at even if the reader has not cast a ballot for that poll. Those people who elect to look without voting are then denied the ability to later cast a ballot.

This was done so that the artificial nature of this particular poll (the fact that I added a seventh 'answer' that was designed only to allow a reader to see the results (because they didn't qualify to cast a vote) could be removed. I then removed that seventh answer and removed all ballots cast in the poll that had selected the seventh choice. The numbers are now representative without 'translation.'
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17381 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  7:43 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
No need to guess what I meant above. I'll clarify ...

A person who decides on whether or not to wear a helmet based on whether or not there is a helmet law is an idiot.

A person who decides to protest helmet laws by not wearing a helmet is an idiot.

A person who wears a helmet regardless of whether or not there is a helmet law is a fine fella/gal, is smart as a whip, has survival instincts beyond those found in third graders, and has probably read the Constitution.
Go to Top of Page

gtscpe
Standard Member
110 Posts

san diego, ca
USA

Honda

'06 Goldwing

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  9:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

No need to guess what I meant above. I'll clarify ...

A person who decides on whether or not to wear a helmet based on whether or not there is a helmet law is an idiot.

A person who decides to protest helmet laws by not wearing a helmet is an idiot.

A person who wears a helmet regardless of whether or not there is a helmet law is a fine fella/gal, is smart as a whip, has survival instincts beyond those found in third graders, and has probably read the Constitution.

James, stop mincing your words and tell us how you really feel
Go to Top of Page

howard.v
Male Senior Member
406 Posts

North Bend, OR
USA

Honda

2004 VT750 Aero

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  11:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

I have changed the polling system today so that poll results may be looked at even if the reader has not cast a ballot for that poll. Those people who elect to look without voting are then denied the ability to later cast a ballot.

This was done so that the artificial nature of this particular poll (the fact that I added a seventh 'answer' that was designed only to allow a reader to see the results (because they didn't qualify to cast a vote) could be removed. I then removed that seventh answer and removed all ballots cast in the poll that had selected the seventh choice. The numbers are now representative without 'translation.'

This didn't work James. I viewed the results first and then it let me vote.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17381 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  1:47 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thank you! I believe it is fixed now. I had failed to write a cookie to the user's system if he 'peeked' (just as I do if he votes.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05