(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3446 positive of 3828 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Campfire chat
 How Fast Can Things Go Wrong?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  11:54 AM                       Like
Really fast!

http://www.facebook.com/15592783174...pe=2&theater

DataDan
Advanced Member
530 Posts
[Mentor]

Central Coast, CA
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  5:23 PM
In spite of the quick-cut, shock-value presentation, there are some valuable lessons in compilations like this one. And I think they're just as valuable here in the US as in the countries they came from.

Watch with your finger on the pause button, and back up and re-watch when you didn't quite catch the crucial event. In some crashes it's gobsmackingly stupid. But others--if you were to read a description in the minimalist language of a police or news report--seem very much like the ones we hear about all the time. "Motorcycle collided with oncoming vehicle that turned left." "Motorcycle rear-ended vehicle slowing in traffic." "Motorcycle ran off the road in a curve."

After watching these compilations for a few years, I no longer feel automatic outrage when I read about a crash where a motorcyclist's right of way is violated. I want to know the rest of the story: speed, view obstructions, pre-crash maneuvers, etc.

Someone with the time and inclination could use real-life incidents like these to create instructional videos that help riders understand how a seemingly harmless action can lead to a crash.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6884 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  6:44 PM
There are a lot of cases where the car pulling across the path of the motorcycle was doing it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. The rider should have spotted the hazard way back there and been able to do something about it.

Other than the deer jumping out and a few cases of a rider getting rear ended, I believe that I could have avoided the rest.
Go to Top of Page

The Meromorph
Male Moderator
834 Posts
[Mentor]

White House, TN
USA

BMW

R1100RT

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  8:43 AM
I am informed by some people who should know (Expat Russians) that many of these (at least the ones out of Russia) are a result of (a) licenses awarded for contributions, not for testing, (b) very high/regular alcohol consumption, (c) a common attitude of "rules? what rules?".
Although stupidity obviously plays a large part in all of them.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  9:38 AM Follow poster on Twitter
I'd say about 80%-90% of those crashes could be contributed to "rider error"...whether it's excessive speed for conditions, lane splitting, passing on the shoulder, inattentiveness,or just plain stupidity, in many of those crashes (notice I don't use the word "accident", which conveys that it could NOT be avoided) the majority of the liability falls on the motorcycle rider. In the rest of them, the fault either falls completely on the other party or is split equally between both parties.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2260 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 07/12/2015 :  12:43 AM
It takes a bit for my heart rate to calm down when I see these videos and I usually pass on looking at or for stuff like this but as Dan states, a lot can be learned from these.

I did use the pause feature quite a bit just to clarify a few events.
It appears to me, many of the pedestrian or bicyclists seem to be either wrongly entering a path or doing so on blind faith if within their 'right of way'.

I noted many episodes where it was apparent the motorcyclist was way beyond safe speeds for the situations or traffic flow, many of them demonstrated poor brake technique, too much rear brake, or rear brake only.

A few did demonstrate good braking in that it was obvious they cut their speed to impact pretty significantly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05