(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Off Theme
 The Get Your Motor Running Chat Forum
 Which National Park is this?
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  8:06 AM                       Like
Many years ago we had a thread What am I and where am I located?.

Since I recently visited all of the National Parks in the Western States (except the two southern-most), I thought I would try something similar with photos from that trip.

If there is interest in this (i.e., people guessing and guessing right), I'll keep going with all of them. Otherwise, I'll let it die out.

I'm going to do it in order starting from the ones my wife and I rated lowest up to the ones we rated as the best National Parks. Each one will be different and this is only for National Parks, not National Historical Sites, National Monuments, National Recreation Areas, National Cemeteries, or any of the other variants.

So here's the first one:

RobBunch
Standard Member
100 Posts

Colorado Springs, CO
USA

Honda

ST1300A

Posted - 07/12/2015 :  12:25 PM
After coming back to this, and looking for like images elsewhere, I have come to the conclusion I haven't a clue.

My only guess is based on the trees - it looks like Arizona to me. Thought maybe that you rated it the lowest of your set might give me a clue.

Oh well. This sort of reminds me of the "find me" ride pictures, taken generally on some beautiful back road. The person who guesses or identifies the location correctly gets control of the thread to post their own pic. Which means of course a nice ride is in order to accomplish the mission.

I for one hope to see more pics, Scott.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/12/2015 :  6:47 PM
I will give one hint - it is not in Arizona.

Actually I'll give another much bigger hint - it is in our newest National Park.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2271 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  1:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

I will give one hint - it is not in Arizona.

Actually I'll give another much bigger hint - it is in our newest National Park.

I'll say it starts with the letter 'P' and sounds plural.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  7:53 AM Follow poster on Twitter
Between the hint and Google, I'll say Pinnacles...post the next one.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  8:03 AM
Yes, that one was Pinnacles National Park. It came in last place, because there isn't a lot there. We didn't get to go into the cave because the bats have babies and they don't want them disturbed. I'll go back and visit it again just to see the cave. They have California Condors there too, but those aren't easy to see. My wife and I think that maybe it should have remained a National Monument. It's still worth a visit if you're in the area.

Here's the next one:
Go to Top of Page

RobBunch
Standard Member
100 Posts

Colorado Springs, CO
USA

Honda

ST1300A

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  12:31 PM
My guess - Glacier.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  1:57 PM
Glacier. Good guess - but wrong!
Go to Top of Page

RobBunch
Standard Member
100 Posts

Colorado Springs, CO
USA

Honda

ST1300A

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  2:35 PM
Awwww. It was actually my second choice, don't ask why I didn't list my first. I'll hold off to see if someone else replies.

Maybe this will get easier as we move up your list!
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  3:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RobBunch

Maybe this will get easier as we move up your list!
Some of them will be totally easy, even if you've never been there, because we've all seen photos of the famous national parks. One reason some of these tended toward the bottom of my list is because they don't have one defining thing that represents the park.

By the way, in my opinion, every single national park is worth visiting at least once. But some of them are worth visiting multiple times because there is so much to see and do. Those tended to rise to the top.
Go to Top of Page

RobBunch
Standard Member
100 Posts

Colorado Springs, CO
USA

Honda

ST1300A

Posted - 07/14/2015 :  9:34 PM
Ok, in the absence of another reply, I'll try my first choice, even though I am relatively certain it is not correct, either.

Rocky Mountain.

My uncertainty is based on the cragginess of the terrain in the picture, which appears to be more than I remember in my visits to RMNP.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  6:30 AM
Not Rocky Mountain National Park either. Those mountains are quite a bit smoother there.

Keep guessing.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2271 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  8:12 AM
N Cascades
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  8:29 AM
That's it, North Cascades National Park.

It has nice mountains, forest, rivers and lakes, but it's hard to find anything outstanding that you can't find in other places. That's why it didn't get ranked very high. And that's why it's hard to tell from photos of it which one it is. It is also one of only three National Parks in the west with no entrance fee, since a main highway goes right through it.

Okay, here's the next one. We had to hike a mile to get to this particular view:
Go to Top of Page

RobBunch
Standard Member
100 Posts

Colorado Springs, CO
USA

Honda

ST1300A

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  10:43 AM
Ok, Scott, I'll bite, but a different way.

Utah?
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  10:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by RobBunch

Utah?
Yes. All five national parks in Utah are basically that color. You've narrowed it down a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  9:35 AM Follow poster on Twitter
Going from how weather-worn the rock faces appear and the amount of Green visible...I'll guess Zion.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  9:51 AM
Yes, Zion National Park. There is a great hike right at the top of the long tunnel that has an amazing view there. I remembered it as being a relatively flat hike, and told my wife that, but there was actually quite a bit of uphill to get to it.

Zion didn't get a top ranking because they're totally unprepared for the amount of people that show up there. Unless you get there early, the closest you can park to the visitor center is outside the park in Springdale. And they don't have any food in the park except at the lodge that you can't get to except by bus even when their parking lot isn't full.

It's a beautiful place, but isn't run nearly as well as other popular National Parks.

It will take me a bit to get the next photo in this series posted. Sorry for the delay.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  8:28 PM
Okay...
Go to Top of Page

RobBunch
Standard Member
100 Posts

Colorado Springs, CO
USA

Honda

ST1300A

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  7:50 PM
Hmmm ... Yellowstone?
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  7:47 AM
I figured that would be the first guess. And no, it isn't Yellowstone.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.51 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05