(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3446 positive of 3828 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Campfire chat
 Yamaha Four Wheeler Concept bike
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  9:37 AM                       Like
While interesting, this is not a particularly parsimonious design exercise in my opinion, however it certainly is interesting. What do you think. Is this a problem solved or a solution looking for a problem?

When Yamaha unveiled the Tesseract four-wheeled concept at the 40th Tokyo Motor Show in 2007 the market of leaning multi-wheeled vehicles (LMW) was just hatching. Piaggio had just introduced the MP3 in 2006 as a unique scooter with an intricate suspension system that allowed the two front wheels to tilt while cornering.

Since then several other manufacturers have followed suit, with Swiss company Quadro and French Peugeot each joining the club with their own designs. A common denominator for Yamaha, Piaggio and Quadro was the Italian Studio Marabese Design that had conceived all three different front suspension setups ? and actually owns Quadro. The latter also ventured into four-wheelers with the Quadro 4, which is still the only four-wheeled LMW in production.

Yamaha responded in 2013 with the Tricity three-wheeled 125 cc scooter, which featured a new suspension concept that was quite different from every other LMW contraption, including the company?s own Tesseract. Another year on and the Tricity went into production, and was an instant success in Europe.

The MWT-9 concept that Yamaha unveiled last week in Tokyo is more or less another take on the Tricity setup, sporting wider wheel track and a massive arm to control the four forks that suspend the front of the bike. Powered by the 847 cc inline triple-cylinder engine of the MT-09 (FZ-09), this concept was designed as a large sport touring LMW ? one might also say it?s a direct response to Honda?s Neowing concept.

What Yamaha is teasing us with now, though, is much more than a MWT-9 with a fourth wheel. In fact the OR2T development prototype brings forth a suspension arrangement that we hadn?t seen again since the 2007 Tesseract concept.

See pictures and read the rest at the link below.

http://www.gizmag.com/yamaha-or2t-p...61b-76713031

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  10:29 AM
A vehicle that is no wider than a standard motorcycle, leans in turns, yet stands up by itself when stopped or turning under 10mph so feet down is never required is the one thing that could entice me into riding again.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  11:57 AM
quote:
yet stands up by itself
The first photo shows it leaned on a kickstand, which makes me wonder if it would stand up by itself, without someone to some degree holding it up.

My aching knees would welcome a ride that did not require their use. Knee bend was hard for me to judge from the photos but the bend required seems to be more sport bike than cruiser (under 90 degrees).

Edited by - rayg50 on 11/05/2015 12:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horse
257 Posts

Newbury, Berkshire
United Kingdom

BMW

R850RT

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  3:06 PM
Have you considered the Piaggio MP3 type? Dual front, leaning - but with a lockable mechanism so you can stop and park feet-up.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1688 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  1:28 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
The Dodge Tomahawk had closely spaced 4 wheels like that, and it leaned. No doubt with that heavy Viper V-10 engine, they made it capable of holding the bike upright at rest.

I think there would be challenges to overcome with many motor vehicle laws defining a motorcycle as having less than 4 wheels.
Go to Top of Page

Horse
257 Posts

Newbury, Berkshire
United Kingdom

BMW

R850RT

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  2:21 PM
One article I've read states that the magic distance is 465mm - below that two wheels count as one and trike becomes bike.
Go to Top of Page

Horse
257 Posts

Newbury, Berkshire
United Kingdom

BMW

R850RT

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  2:27 AM
Oops. Forgot to say: "In the UK"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05