(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3446 positive of 3828 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Motorcycle Accident Reports - WITH COMMENTS
 Two Women killed In Motorcycle Crash
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  11:25 AM                       Like
No other vehicle involved, not wearing helmets, reason for loss of control unknown. Apparently hit signpost and median curbing. Police are investigating.

There has been a concerted effort by the motorcycle industry in general to encourage women to take up motorcycling yet there is little in the way of a serious effort by the industry to encourage people to progress from the mastery of small bikes to larger ones. None of the entry lever or "advanced" rider training courses commonly available deal with the particular rider knowledge and skill sets needed to competently carry a passenger.

See this link for the story, video, and photos. Your comments and opinions are welcome.
http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/moto...en/152070936

wmcooper
Male Junior Member
33 Posts

perry, ga
USA

Honda

shadow aero

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  4:19 PM
The report didn't give much detail so we don't know if they died of head injuries but it did say they were not wearing helmets.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  6:31 PM
However the report did state that they were both dead at the scene. I will be looking for a coroners report as soon as the names of the dead are released.

One reason that virtually all motorcycle accident reports in the media indicate the presence or absence of helmet use is that it is a "check the box" item in standardized "accident" (crash) report forms when crashes involve motorcycles. http://www.nhtsa.gov/Data/State+Data+Programs
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2260 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  3:28 PM
Nothing comes to mind, just a sad story.

In the video, I can see the nearby traffic signal, a curve to the road and the median or boulevard/curb. I did look up an overview so here is a link.
Moving the map east, you can see the curve in the road as you go from the noted cross streets from the news report- Mountain View toward 43rd. If the bike collided with a sign or sign post, it was leaving the road or hit the curb I would surmise.

-It took me a bit of deliberate practice keeping the bike straight and level while glancing left or right.

-Until I developed a bit of a scan system, I was typically a bit overwhelmed or random of technique in certain traffic areas or busy intersections. Usually, even on the initial report from the scene, witnesses to an incident are interviewed, this may not have had anyone see it happen.

https://www.mapquest.com/us/id/bois...,-116.282517

Edited by - bachman1961 on 04/26/2016 4:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

DataDan
Advanced Member
530 Posts
[Mentor]

Central Coast, CA
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  5:12 PM
Here's a standalone photo from the KTVB slideshow: http://content.ktvb.com/photo/2016/...4_ver1.0.JPG

This is at the exit of an uphill right curve here (43.6321, -116.2558; paste coordinates into Google Maps search box). The motorcycle was apparently westbound (nominally, more NW actually), failed to negotiate the right curve, and hit the center divider (note marks in photo) and traffic sign (which is visible intact in Google street view).

A possible complicating factor is the end of the right lane in the right curve. If the rider had actually merged left in the curve, a more forceful steering input than normal would have been necessary to terminate the lane change swerve and regain the right-curving path. An inadequate steering input at that point could have resulted in running wide, into the median.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 04/28/2016 :  9:02 PM
The crash from a human (emotional) perspective.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...4348252.html
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 04/30/2016 :  9:02 AM
quote:
Davis was firm about wearing helmets, she said, so it surprised her to hear that neither woman was wearing a helmet on the fatal Sunday ride.
I sometimes wonder how many riders occasionally forego all or part of their gear because of the familiarity, or shortness, of a ride.

I have been able to overcome the temptation but I'd be bending the truth if I said it has never been there.

Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1688 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  10:32 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
The one time I was a bit aggravated riding in a helmet required place was in Canada. A really hot, muggy summer day, and before a longer ride, I had a number of stops to make in fairly close proximity. Bank to change currency, a stop for cigs, fill up with gas, and then a deli. Helmet on and off several times, head and hair sweaty... Oh well.

I now have a modular helmet, and find it easier to leave it on for gas, drive up window whether bank or fast food etc.

The downside is, in around town, slow speed, stopping often for lights and stop signs, I am finding myself leaving the chin bar up. It's a cheap helmet, and my custom is to replace them every couple of years. Next time maybe I'll go back to full faced.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05