(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3446 positive of 3828 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Campfire chat
 Great Question
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

commonground
Male Standard Member
155 Posts

Windsor, PA
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1300

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  6:36 PM                       Like
The other day a friend and his wife came to visit. Part way through the visit the guy asked to look at my bike. How could I say no. While looking and sitting on my bike, he stated that he had ridden earlier in his life and was now getting back into biking. He said that his brother, who had been a MSF instructor for many years had recommended that he take Basic Rider Course. He said he wasn't sure whether it would be worthwhile since he had time on a bike.

I told him that since he had never been to any safety classes, I thought that it would wise to follow his brothers advice even though, he had ridden before. He asked about what was taught and I recounted some of the things that I benefited from as a new rider. After I had covered quite a few basic techniques, he asked a Great Question, "Do they teach you HOW and WHEN to lay the bike down?" My answer was, "They teach you how not to lay the bike down and how to brake properly and how to swerve" I then explained how much more traction for slowing tires offered than the metal parts on the bike. I hope that he follows his brother's advice.

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1061 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  4:49 PM
I had a fellow explain to me, that in the old days police officers were trained to "lay down" their bikes, in order to use them as "cover"

I have also heard WWII motorcycle dispatch riders were taught the same thing.

I'm just a poor country boy with no great intellect.... but using a gas tank as a shield from bullets.... well that just doesn't make sense...
Go to Top of Page

commonground
Male Standard Member
155 Posts

Windsor, PA
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1300

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  7:50 PM
I have heard, "I laid her down" from quite a few riders. They survived and believe that the reason was, that they laid the bike down. I also found that telling them that their theory is wrong, falls on deaf ears. These folks are usually seasoned riders with little or no training, recent or from way back when. I dunno maybe in years past people were taught to lay a bike down.
Go to Top of Page

wmcooper
Male Junior Member
33 Posts

perry, ga
USA

Honda

shadow aero

Posted - 05/28/2016 :  5:51 PM
When I took the MSF course recently they taught us emergency braking and emphasized not to 'lay her down'

Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2260 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  5:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by commonground

I have heard, "I laid her down" from quite a few riders. They survived and believe that the reason was, that they laid the bike down. I also found that telling them that their theory is wrong, falls on deaf ears. These folks are usually seasoned riders with little or no training, recent or from way back when. I dunno maybe in years past people were taught to lay a bike down.

I think many of us have talked to people or know of persons who claim to have laid the bike down as a purposeful tactic and we feel we (may) know differently. In the case where they were as a 'deer in the headlights', fully unprepared, under-skilled or lacking control of the bike, the bike went down. Some of these riders won't allow their ego the minor bruise to admit they didn't know what the heck to do or how to choose a better tactic because their tool box of tactics was never supplied or created from training experience. Who has time to train and practice ?? Come - on IT's time to RIDE !!
I think more times than not, a bike isn't laid down on purpose and when it is, it's nothing more than giving up on a better set of odds at the moment they realize they don't know any better.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05