(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3446 positive of 3828 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Buzzing Sound Coming from Front of Bike
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

USMarine6173
Male Standard Member
102 Posts

Moline, Illinois
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 650

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  1:23 AM                       Like
I went for a pretty long ride yesterday. And towards the end of the ride, I heard a really fast tempo high/low pitched buzzing sound coming from the front/disk brake side of the bike. It didn't matter what gear the bike was in or rpm level, the buzzing only occurred at 20 mph. The road surface was very flat/smooth.

I stopped the bike, checked for any loose cables/parts, and then proceeded back on my way. The buzzing still continued at 20 mph.

Any theories?

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  6:04 AM
See if you can go for a ride in a low traffic situation and only use the rear brake. When you get back, see if a front disk is warm. You may have a dragging pad. That may be the case even if the disc is cold if the pad isn't dragging much. After a ride without use, it shouldn't be dragging at all so you can check for noise or feel after getting the front wheel in the air and spinning it.

Some drag is typical after brake use as the only things getting the pads away from the disc are the elasticity of the seal and high spots or slight warpage of even a good disk pushing the pads away. That's why it's important not to use the brake before the check.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6883 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  9:04 AM
On some bikes you can hear the holes in the drilled brake rotors as they go past the brake pads. But only if you're not wearing earplugs. You should be wearing earplugs when you ride to protect your hearing.

I find that earplugs can mask a bunch of annoying little sounds on my bikes.
Go to Top of Page

USMarine6173
Male Standard Member
102 Posts

Moline, Illinois
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 650

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  10:30 AM
It doesn't sound like it is coming from the brake pad. Just the front disk brake side of the bike. The buzz sounds more plastic than metallic.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1688 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  12:51 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
How about the speedo drive. Is it off the front wheel, and on the noisy side? Notice anything strange with the speedometer?
Go to Top of Page

USMarine6173
Male Standard Member
102 Posts

Moline, Illinois
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 650

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  4:46 PM
I will check the speedometer next ride. Will also see if I hear it at the beginning of the ride/when the bike is relatively cold.

Will keep everyone posted. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6883 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  6:12 PM
If it's not too hard for you to take the front wheel off, it would be good to check the speedometer drive for proper lubrication as a preventative step. They're generally pretty easy to put grease into.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05