(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3446 positive of 3828 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 We're back on-line!!
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17293 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  12:03 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
This site disappeared a few months ago because my hosting facility was hit with a ransomware attack (though no ransom demand was made) which left all files (INCLUDING BACKUPS) encrypted and unrecoverable.

It has been difficult, to say the least, to rebuild the site. But we finally managed to do it - because I had created backups of the databases and code on my home system on a regular basis. Lesson learned: do not rely on a hosting facility to protect your data.

As of yesterday, I had recovered memberships, topics, and replies resulting from the first 38,089,326 visitors to the site (ending in late 2014). Today the site now contains all of that from the next 8,342,000 visitors (ending in February of 2017). However, before the ransomware attack, we had over 50,000,000 visitors and now only show 46,431,000. We've lost the results of about 5,000,000 visitors to the site. Though I have a slightly more current backup on my home system, I can't find it. (Getting old has its costs.)

This rebuild could not have been accomplished without the help of some very talented technical people. In particular, Vladimir Skoric provided enormous help with infrastructure and David (who prefers to be called ASP_FREELANCER) provided substantial coding and integration assistance.

Vladimir, whom I will introduce to all of you in the near future, has agreed to become our new site administrator.

We're not done yet. There may well be minor bugs and errors left to squash. Please be patient. And along with the rebuild, we're working on a total redesign of the site that is geared to making it more accessible to mobile users. I have no idea how long that will take, but the effort is progressing well.

Thank you all for waiting for our return.

Ride safe!

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1467 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  3:27 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Great to see it back up! You and your fellow IT guys are doing a super job to get all the material online and available again.

Thanks for all the work. I know it's taken many hours.

Cash
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6884 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  4:01 PM
Glad you're back. I thought that I posted something yesterday, but don't see it now.

I would like to discuss reliable backup methods - in the correct forum - at some point.

I haven't ridden a motorcycle for nearly a month now. I'll have to take one or both of them out today. Maybe I could report on a trip I took a month ago before parking the bikes.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17293 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  6:46 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
You did, Scott. Thanks.

The result of replacing yesterday's topics and replies database tables was the loss of yesterday's posts. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

dhrill
Male Administrator
2 Posts

Rijeka, PG
Croatia

Honda

CBX 500XA

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  1:51 AM

Hello to All,

We are working on setting up board email functionality.
But I somehow managed to figure out my password from 2010 without recovery via email

I am sure that ASP Freelancer, James and I will bring it up to speed shortly as we are all full into it.

Btw, you may call me Vlad, easier to type than Vladimir

Regards,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

JanK
Male Junior Member
76 Posts

Ljubljana, Ljubljana
Slovenia

BMW

F650CS

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  12:59 PM
Brilliant!

Although in the months before the attack the number of posts went down quite a bit, it is by far the most useful single source of motorcycle safety information and it would have been sad to see it permanently gone...

Been riding a Vespa round the city now :)
Go to Top of Page

bricksrheavy
Male Standard Member
130 Posts

Europe
Croatia

Yamaha

FZ6

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  6:23 PM
Very glad to see the site is back up and people are checking in
Go to Top of Page

Baggsy
Male Advanced Member
720 Posts
[Mentor]

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

09 Wee

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  7:37 PM
I'm happy that it was just a "stuff" issue.
You had me worried for a while.
Go to Top of Page

Alan_Hepburn
Male Standard Member
191 Posts

San Jose, Ca
USA

Honda

1994 GL1500SE

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  8:18 PM
Glad to see the site is alive once more - was concerned that something might have happened to James.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  8:36 PM
I had responded yesterday as well. But that post is now gone.

Glad to have the site back for the long winter.. Also happy James and crew are alive and well ad workig hard as ever.

I?m ikeless at the moment. Waiting on a new ride to e shipped from TMC.

Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17293 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  2:57 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
We are still making some tweaks to the various areas of the site where errors are occurring, but we are pretty much there now! Thank you for your kind words of support.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
742 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - * Today * :  2:46 PM
Wow! What can I say? I'm so happy you are back online. Bravo, James and welcome back!

And hi Vlad!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05